Should all potters mark their work?

4 posters

Go down

Should all potters mark their work? Empty Should all potters mark their work?

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 12th 2017, 11:59 pm

I saw this mentioned today and I'm a big YES voter. I could rant for an hour, I feel it is completely arrogant that any professional potter does not mark his work. OK you say but xxxxx is very recognisable..... I could spot his work 10m away..... well then.. what happens when x20 people copy his work and swamp the market with similar also 'unmarked' pieces. He has nor copyright (or usage rights) on that shape ...no one can stop them.

They could flood ebay with authentic 'unmarked' 'copies'....... and make a killing. Trust me they are not that difficult to copy.

The 2nd hand market for xxxx's pieces would soon collapse (and thus the resale market, and thus the primary market) and ....he/she would then wish that they had marked their pieces....... moral of the story.... MARK YOUR WARES POTTERS!

That is just one scenario I have ..more to follow.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Should all potters mark their work? Empty Re: Should all potters mark their work?

Post by brin mcardle September 13th 2017, 10:30 am

Totally agree
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Should all potters mark their work? Empty Re: Should all potters mark their work?

Post by NaomiM September 13th 2017, 10:49 am

It seems the potters' reasons for not marking their work is often because they see them as functional pottery, like Hamada,  and eschew the 'collectable' tag. If others want to copy them, so be it. They are pots only fit for the table and the oven. And they don't get a cut of any money paid on the secondary market.
Others may use labels rather than a stamp or signature, so I wouldn't say they are unmarked.
But at the end of the day a mark is free advertising, so I agree that it's a blinkered point of view not to use one.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31479
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 13th 2017, 6:03 pm

Did Picasso use a label? I see the mark as part of the pottery and any decent potter would not be using a gold sticky label IMO. Would a label go down well at the Leach Pottery? Nah?

My opinion is at any decent potter does mark his/her piece and take great pride in that mark. I love the flourishing ACS of Aldermaston and think it adds to the piece. I don't care if it's a toilet roll holder... potters should mark their pieces.

Perhaps like Marianne de Trey, did she not use a standard stamp for production pieces then reserve he personal seal for the special things she made?

Last edited by 22 Crawford St. on September 13th 2017, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 13th 2017, 6:09 pm

Yes, I like the Leach tradition of a pottery and a potter's stamp. Those countries that don't follow the Leach tradition, like the US, where potters usually sign or initial and date their work, the stuff often looks like a bunch of school kids have made them. The stamp gives even a boring brown pot a touch of elegance.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31479
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandX September 13th 2017, 10:31 pm

I would prefer it if all potters marked their work. However with reference to Crawford's comment, I don't think it would stop unscrupulous people copying a sought after potter's work. In most cases it would be easy to copy the mark which would actually make a bogus piece more convincing.
BrandX
BrandX

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum