Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery

3 posters

Go down

Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Empty Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery

Post by geraintwoolford July 26th 2017, 11:55 am

Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Dsc00715
Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Dsc00716
Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Dsc00717
Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Dsc00719
Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Dsc00718
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Empty Re: Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery

Post by geraintwoolford July 26th 2017, 11:56 am

It is 5.5cm tall and 8 cm wide
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Back to top Go down

Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery Empty Re: Trying to find any information on this small piece of pottery

Post by tigerchips July 26th 2017, 12:40 pm

At a guess it could be delftware, either from Holland or English. Just the amount of chips on the rim. But the blue colour isn't that strong so it's kind of putting me off.
tigerchips
tigerchips

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2017-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerchips July 26th 2017, 12:46 pm

If you search for 'English delftware ointment pot 18th century' on google images you should find one similar. Can't say that that is a 100% correct attribution though as i'm not an expert. It might be a good idea to show it to a museum.
tigerchips
tigerchips

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2017-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay July 26th 2017, 1:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that it's an open salt cellar, probably 1860 - 1880. The transfer blue decoration will have been adapted from a pattern such as Asiatic Pheasant - where there wasn't room on a piece to apply the full pattern they'd typically use a piece of border transfer so that it would still match the rest of the dinner service.
I've seen the impressed circle mark on a number of Staffordshire Willow pattern plates from that time period over the years.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by geraintwoolford July 26th 2017, 4:37 pm

Thank you all so much, your knowledge is so helpful to me.
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum