Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten?

2 posters

Go down

Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Empty Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten?

Post by spanielSD May 23rd 2017, 8:47 pm

Hello!  I've been puzzling over this little jug/pitcher for a long time now.  The mark is hand drawn, what looks like "AD" or "AP" but it could also be a triangle and a V?

- Looks like red clay
- it's a speckled glaze, khaki green - it's glazed in the interior except for the neck, which is red clay.
- not sure if the "Y" black mark is part of the artist mark or if it was placed by the seller (I bought it at a Mormon-run secondhand store in Boise, ID)

I've been digging through marks for a year or so - the closest mark I've found is what was labeled an "early van der Putten", but he is in New Zealand, which seems quite far for this little jug to have traveled. The other potter who has a similar style and glaze is Warren MacKenzie, and possibly his mark could be interpreted this way, but it isn't as similar.  

It also kind of looks like the Carolina Soap and Candle Makers pitcher seen here, but this little jug doesn't have glaze on the interior neck:

Apologies that I cannot turn these images :(

Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Img_9514
Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Img_9515
Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Img_9513
spanielSD
spanielSD

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-05-23

Back to top Go down

Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Empty Re: Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten?

Post by spanielSD May 23rd 2017, 8:52 pm

Since I am a new member, it wouldn't let me post direct links to the examples I had found, but I am trying in this reply to upload screenshots.

Carolina Pottery Example:Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Screen10

"early Andrew van der Putten mark": Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? 822e5410

From TheMarksProject .org, Warren MacKenzie (work example, not his mark example - his entry has a lot more examples): Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Screen10

Or, maybe this little jug/pitcher is the work of a pottery hobbyist who was just really good!
spanielSD
spanielSD

Back to top Go down

Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten? Empty Re: Green speckle pitcher, small, red clay - poss. early Andrew van der Putten?

Post by NaomiM May 23rd 2017, 8:58 pm

I'm afraid it's not a mark I'm familiar with, but when identifying a piece it's best to look at the pot as a whole when comparing it to known pottery - clay, glaze, form - and not just concentrate on the mark. More often than not, the potter will be local to where you found it and there may be other examples of their work - hopefully with a label - in the thrift shops.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by spanielSD May 26th 2017, 9:04 pm

Thank you! I will centralize my search to Boise and see if I can find other examples that are similar :)
spanielSD
spanielSD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum