Gillian Lowndes

3 posters

Go down

Gillian Lowndes Empty Gillian Lowndes

Post by studio-pots December 23rd 2016, 6:22 pm

Gillian Lowndes (1936 - 2010) is not someone that you would think a "brown pot man" like myself would be interested in but today I caught the last day of an exhibition of her work here in London. I very much agree with the blurb associated with the exhibition that she "was one of the ceramic world's most daring, radical and original artists of the post-war generation."

Below are 3 pieces from the exhibition: -

Gillian Lowndes 13141510

In the foreground is "Mesh Collage with Loofah and Hooks" 1991, behind to the left is "For Jenny" 1990-4 (collage with extruded clay and can opener) and on the wall is "Hook Figure" 1994 (ceramic, loofahs and hooks).

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Gillian Lowndes Empty Re: Gillian Lowndes

Post by studio-pots December 23rd 2016, 6:30 pm

here's "Almost off the Wall" 2001, which is ceramic and wire.  

Gillian Lowndes Almost10

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Gillian Lowndes Empty gillian lowndes

Post by croker February 3rd 2021, 11:09 am

I have been trying to convince my wife that we should buy a piece of gillian lowndes but she is not convinced, i quite like her work but i dont fully understand it. this type of her   output i think has very little to do with studio ceranics.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 696
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 3rd 2021, 12:45 pm

I tend to uses the terms "studio pottery" when I am talking about the type of things that I generally sell i.e. based on functional forms and "studio ceramics" when I am talking about work that has moved away from that.

So to me this is studio ceramics and the art historian, Herbert Reed, stated over 80 years ago that “pottery is plastic art in its most abstract form”. Therefore, I suspect that he would have thought that her work have something to do with studio ceramics and studio pottery.

Ian Auld, her husband, gave up making pots and concentrated on dealing in tribal art because he felt his work could never match that of his wife, so that ought to mean something too.

For me, some of her work is brilliant.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Gillian Lowndes Empty gillian lowndes

Post by croker February 3rd 2021, 1:07 pm

i am a great fan of the more sculptural studio ceramics such as baldwin and henderson  but it seems to me lowndes has moved even further into pure sculpture , i have only seen a limited amount of her work so i will try to see more pieces before  buying a piece. The problem i think is display, in a gallery they look great in large white spaces on their plinths but i am  not sure they will work so well in a normal domestic setting.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 696
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 3rd 2021, 4:29 pm

I have her Ruthin Craft Centre book by Amanda Fielding. Fascinating Ceramicist? Sculptor? Artist? She worked upon that very edge of a number of disciplines. Her work looks superb in Museums. In a domestic centre you could imagine it in one of those white space stripped down modernist Californian Mansions.
You need a palatial London Penthouse to display them in this country Laughter
Superb and slightly mysterious work. Hard to believe she has now been dead for over a decade.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6579
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum