Oriental candlestick... or not?

4 posters

Go down

Oriental candlestick... or not? Empty Oriental candlestick... or not?

Post by Essenjay November 2nd 2016, 9:39 pm

At risk of sounding like a Philistine, I have very little interest in - or knowledge of - Oriental / Far Eastern pottery, new or old. However I picked this up recently and wonder if anyone can offer any thoughts at all as to country of origin or anything at all about it. The casting on the bottom brass is pretty crisp with a strong pattern but the top, well, isn't. The brass looks old but the connecting rod looks a little more recent. The centre is hand painted porcelain, which I'm guessing is Chinese. It looks old but, of course, glaze crazing can be artificially induced. The hole in the base of the porcelain seems to be after it was produced. Could the whole thing be cobbled together from other parts, a new use for a broken vase?

Oriental candlestick... or not? 19_f

Oriental candlestick... or not? 22_f

Oriental candlestick... or not? 23_f

Oriental candlestick... or not? 25_f

Oriental candlestick... or not? 24_f
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Oriental candlestick... or not? Empty Re: Oriental candlestick... or not?

Post by RoyJ99 November 2nd 2016, 9:56 pm

It's difficult to say more than oriental style from the photos, they're really grainy and it's not really possible to see the details clearly. If you could upload some better quality images, particularly of the base it would help a lot.
RoyJ99
RoyJ99

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 2nd 2016, 9:58 pm

I can't tell from the photos. Decoration doesn't look typical or Oriental pieces but it might be Asian.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31537
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep November 3rd 2016, 5:42 am

It is difficult to see from the photos I agree. I can't see if it was made as a vase and cut down or made as a lamp. The decoration is very European though, particularly items from that area between France and Denmark. The use of coppery/gold mounts is also very French. I think if you can see that the neck has been cut (will be rougher and unglazed) then its probably Asian and made for European tastes. If it was always a lamp then it is probably European. The base being unglazed would be normal for something like this made without stilts.

By the way if it is European then its approx 120 years old, if its not then the date could be much more recent.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay November 4th 2016, 8:35 pm

Ooh yes, those photos are terrible, aren't they? I've had enough of Photobucket's lack of reliability so I'm trying JPEGbay; the former are fine for posting on here without any adjustment but the latter obviously aren't. I'll try and work out how to resize correctly before putting adding any more.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum