climberg64
BrandX
Mordeep
dantheman
22 Crawford St.
11 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Adam Partridge studio ceramics auctions - Page 8 Empty Re: Adam Partridge studio ceramics auctions

Post by croker Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:10 pm

Hi philpot, When i said the 'best' i was referring to what was best for the auction house in monetary terms and not necessarily the quality of the goods on offer although the two often go hand in hand . How he managed to squeeze this lot into a small flat baffles me ,it's not really collecting but just hoarding and it's hard to imagine how any normal person could or want to live like this.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 656
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Adam Partridge studio ceramics auctions - Page 8 Empty Re: Adam Partridge studio ceramics auctions

Post by philpot Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:02 pm

One wonders how much got damaged! Yhings happen when you get that much stuff. I doubt if he was married. Wives tend to lonit the collecting!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6262
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:22 pm

He doesn't appear to have been married ,so nobody to keep him in check, he apparently sold his house and moved into the flat, partly to fund his collecting but also to move closer to a Buddhist centre, i think this would seem quite extreme for most people.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:33 pm

Michael Evans, as he was, when I first met him had lived in Sandwich in Kent but was in the Bethnal Green flat near to the London Buddhist Centre when he first came along to the Harlequin Gallery. Dayabandhu was the name that he took when he became a "fully fledged" Buddhist during the time that I knew him. I liked him very much and he took my comments that I thought Buddhists had to give up all worldly possessions in the spirit that it was said. He often visited with friends including Martin Pearce, whose work is included in the auction, and we both would rib him about keeping his collection in check but to no avail.

Inside the flat little floor space was available but there were "walkways" with large items by Charles Bound and others acting as walls to protect damage to smaller items.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7805
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:20 pm

I think we all walk that fine walk between 'collecting' and obsession? Especially if we have no wife/husband to curb us!
Is this an Estate sale though? It looks like it, given the rather low estimates.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:36 pm

I wondered about that as he had apparently been suffering with vascular dementia for many years but i am not sure if he is still around. There has been a 3 year gap between this sale and the first part.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:42 am

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/adampartridge/catalogue-id-adam-p10335

The results of the January 5th Adam Partridge Michael Evans auction. Looks like a good sale results wise. Most sold within estimate, with a few bits and pieces of the higher quality items going for more.
A studio potter collector's dream sale! If I still had the itch, and the space. I would have been very tempted. There were a lot of nice low/mid range pieces which went at very attractive prices. Anybody buy anything nice Adam Partridge studio ceramics auctions - Page 8 822202
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by pole_2_pole Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:45 am

I watched the sale online, and was logged in to bid but it didn’t quite move me. As you said, some very attractive prices! I don’t live nearby so the faff of sorting collection / paying a fortune for postage also puts me off a bit
pole_2_pole
pole_2_pole

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2023-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:05 am

Distance...Aye there's the rub! With most of major studio pottery auctions being in the South of the country, Adam Partridge is inconvenient to get to. There is not much hotel accommodation around Macclesfield either.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum