Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase

4 posters

Go down

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Empty Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase

Post by Essenjay September 9th 2016, 8:14 pm

This matt powder blue glaze looks right to be Lancastrian, and I think the base does too, but did they produce anything without the impressed mark? I know that other potteries like Bretby used a similar glaze. Pilkington's Lancastrian Pottery Society sell a booklet of recorded shapes but I come across the stuff so infrequently that's its really pointless getting it. Anyone care to propound their opinion on the vase, please?

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Image_12

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Image_13

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Image_14

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Image_15
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Empty Re: Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase

Post by Mordeep September 10th 2016, 5:39 am

Well your list of options is pretty big. Many companies produced vases like this around the 1920's. But all the main ones I can think off used impressed marks so even if the glaze was covering it you would see a trace. That includes Pilkington, Bretby, Moorcroft. It could be an unmarked bit of Morrisware who used a stamp but I think the chances are it is from the home of nearly all quality unmarked vases, China.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase Empty Re: Royal Lancastrian / Mintons / Clews? - blue vase

Post by NaomiM September 10th 2016, 12:31 pm

It looks a bit too clean, and therefore too new, to me. Is there any dirt and dust inside?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 10th 2016, 12:35 pm

If it is dirty then I was thinking Clews Pottery, because of the positioning of the stilt marks and they had an ink stamp which might be too faint to see. But I haven't found one of there's with the same shape, so very much a long shot

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep September 10th 2016, 1:13 pm

I can see the Clews thinking. The ones marked by clews I have come across are thickly marked and you would have seen it through pretty much any dirt. It raise the option that it is an unmarked English made vase intended for retailers who did not want a makers mark. But I have seen that shape in Chinese Celadon though and that leans me across to that being the origin.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 10th 2016, 1:16 pm

I think if it was Chinese it would have an unglazed base so they wouldn't need stilts. Japanese kilns use stilts but three stilts points to English or European pottery

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic September 10th 2016, 1:37 pm

cycladelic
cycladelic

Male Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay September 10th 2016, 9:00 pm

NaomiM wrote:It looks a bit too clean, and therefore too new, to me. Is there any dirt and dust inside?

I think the photos make it look newer than it actually is - there's a good crusty layer at the base of the interior although that in itself, of course, is no guarantee of age. However, you can tell in the flesh that it has age, anything from 1910 to 1940, I'd imagine. I think that the Clews Chameleon attribution seems a good call, even down to the thick glaze around the stilt marks but the Mintons looks a good colour match too. I'll just write it off as another unidentifiable pot that'll end up back at the charity shop at some time. Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum