Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas?

4 posters

Go down

Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas? Empty Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas?

Post by DaveThrift August 14th 2016, 6:59 pm

Here is another thrift store find I would love some help identifying. This mask measures 32cm long. It appears to be a combination of green fired glaze with gold paint. I love the surreal imagery with "mouths" for eyes. Purchased in Virginia USA. The signature looks to me like "Stewart" but I could be wrong on that. Any info as to the artist or era of creation would be much appreciated. Thanks as always!
Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas? Mask110
Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas? Mask210
Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas? Mask310
DaveThrift
DaveThrift

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-08-12

Back to top Go down

Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas? Empty Re: Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas?

Post by NaomiM August 14th 2016, 11:24 pm

Great piece. My first thought was Continental until I saw you're based in the US (Some great pieces have come out of Hungary in the second half of the 20thC.) Possibly signed Stavad?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31537
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas? Empty Re: Studio pottery MID CENTURY STYLE MASK signed "Stewart". Any ideas?

Post by DaveThrift August 15th 2016, 12:51 am

Stavad... I hadn't thought of that, but with minimal research I see that is a last name. Thanks.
DaveThrift
DaveThrift

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 17th 2016, 12:38 am

Seems very crafty, similar to things like IslandGirlPottery on Etsy.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveThrift August 17th 2016, 2:00 am

I do not see the resemblance. The work you mentioned is not surreal in subject, nor does it have this color palette. Just to mention a couple differences among many.
DaveThrift
DaveThrift

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep August 17th 2016, 6:52 am

Looks inspired by the work of ALASDAIR NEIL MACDONELL could be worth asking him if he has seen something like this? Long faces with designs made using objects impressed into the clay is very him and has been since the 1980's
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum