Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please?

3 posters

Go down

Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? Empty Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please?

Post by AlanH April 1st 2016, 1:20 pm

Not sure if this is mass produced, or student piece, as label suggests this?
Anyway, I do like it and would love to know who painted it. Says "Bowyer" 1964.
Many thanks, Alan.
AlanH
AlanH

Male Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? Empty Re: Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please?

Post by AlanH April 1st 2016, 1:21 pm

Method of uploading images has changes since I last posted. Choose 800 pix sizes and they uploaded OK - can't see them though?
AlanH
AlanH

Back to top Go down

Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? Empty Re: Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please?

Post by AlanH April 1st 2016, 1:32 pm

Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? <a href=Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? Horses%201_zpsmjazdw8n" />Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? <a href=Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? Horses%202_zpsgcixxm10" />Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? <a href=Horses Galloping - Artist ID Please? Horses%203_zpsv09wquru" />
AlanH
AlanH

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 1st 2016, 5:46 pm

The painting is dated 2003 and appears to have a faux signature. Possibly Chinese. Certainly doesn't match the label.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32172
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlanH April 1st 2016, 6:42 pm

Thanks Naomi, I did suspect this.
Alan.
AlanH
AlanH

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 1st 2016, 8:49 pm

The picture does look like those painted yesterday in China and the odd thing about the label is that it has "Frame Pattern No.", which suggests that the original painting was to show off the frame rather than the other way around. Can't recall seeing that before.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlanH April 2nd 2016, 10:09 am

A good point, but what is puzzling is that the gummed paper tape sealing the back has faded & cracked, and has clearly been in place for decades. The title "High Spirits" fits the subject also. Maybe the original has been painted over?
AlanH
AlanH

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 2nd 2016, 11:46 am

You did see paintings or prints similar to this from back then and, if it looks period in real life, then it could well be.

The horses aren't well painted, as far as I'm concerned, and I did originally check and couldn't find a known British artist with that surname, who would have been active and working in this style back in the mid 1960s.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum