Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs

5 posters

Go down

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   Empty Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs

Post by subbuteoman March 24th 2016, 8:44 pm

Hi.  Long time lurker but new member and poster.    Picked up around 8 Peter Currell Brown pieces (The 2 at the back are both his)   some monogrammed and some with the snake pottery mark.

The two pieces in the foreground however have a differant mark.  Is this still Peters?   If not has anyone any ideas.  Many thanks in advance

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   P111
Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   P211
Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   P311

Last edited by NaomiM on November 22nd 2023, 6:07 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : mistake to title)
subbuteoman
subbuteoman

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   Empty Re: Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs

Post by big ed March 24th 2016, 8:54 pm

Looks like coxwold Pottery
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   Empty Re: Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs

Post by Potty March 24th 2016, 9:47 pm

subbuteoman wrote:Is this still Peters?

A different Peter Big Laughter

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 24th 2016, 11:33 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Subbuteoman.

If you thought Potty was taking the mick he could have made it even worse by adding a Dick to the end of his sentence.

The Coxwold Pottery was run by Peter Dick and his wife Jill. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 25th 2016, 12:26 am

big ed wrote:Looks like coxwold Pottery

Doesn't seem quite the same as the two marks in my copy of the BSPM book

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31522
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 25th 2016, 7:13 am

NaomiM wrote:
big ed wrote:Looks like coxwold Pottery

Doesn't seem quite the same as the two marks in my copy of the BSPM book

You're quite right, Naomi. I didn't look at the mark myself. Embarrassed

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by subbuteoman March 25th 2016, 10:09 am

Yes it is close to Coxwold but its not quite right. The one is Therington School Centenary 1977. The other is Alveston (near Bristol) WI Diamond Jubilee. There were nine pieces of Peter Currell Browns hence my question. However they are a darker clay to the base than his marked pieces.

I did get the joke of Pottys by the way :) And thank you for welcoming me
subbuteoman
subbuteoman

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   Empty Elephant Jobs Pottery, London

Post by NaomiM November 4th 2019, 8:17 pm

I believe it’s John Forster’s tree or blackberry mark

https://pin.it/riavtojr6tajvp

One here with his JF mark

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   John_f10

Adding to the John Forster story, for a time he was one of the potters teaching at Elephant Jobs Pottery, part of  Elephant Jobs Limited in South London. It was a Community Enterprise Programme, started in 1976 by the Blackfriars Settlement and by Cambridge House, in order to provide a work experience for young people. Over 6 years no fewer than 850 young people had passed through, some receiving pottery training, others making wool carpets and silk screening.... Funding was provided by the Government via the Manpower Services Commission but it seems to have ended in 1981 when funding was withdrawn because, to paraphrase, 'Job Centres weren't supposed to fund craft activities, especially ones that actually made a profit - such as the carpets'

The Pottery used an elephant stamp

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   John_f11

Another example here, although I dont know who's personal stamp is next to it

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   Slipwa18

Via
Kevin Barrett wrote:

The lead potter while I was there was Paul Jackson. Some of the other potters were Marni Howling, Annie Thompson, Maria Rosentharle and Christi Brown.

Last edited by NaomiM on November 22nd 2023, 6:09 pm; edited 7 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 1st 2021, 12:01 am

Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   9b271710
Slipware, tree & JF mark - John Forster Blackberry Hill & Elephant Jobs   Ecdf0110

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum