Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

3 posters

Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by scolada January 21st 2016, 2:52 pm

Hello all,

Can anyone help me identify this piece of porcelain and the backstamp. It seems very high quality and the hand painted floral arrangement is just beautifully done. I've looked in all my reference books and looked on the net but I'm not having much luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance.

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp WP_20160121_09_36_59_Rich_LI

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp WP_20160121_09_37_04_Rich_LI

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp WP_20160121_09_37_12_Rich_LI

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp WP_20160121_09_37_25_Rich_LI
scolada
scolada

Number of posts : 57
Location : Atlanta
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Re: Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by studio-pots January 21st 2016, 8:23 pm

I think it is a mark that is trying to suggest that this is something it's not. It is difficult to be certain from an image but the posy of flowers in the centre look like a transfer. Is that so?

_________________
Now you should know by now that Potty and I need to see your bottom - we're funny that way!
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7156
Location : South East London
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Re: Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by scolada January 21st 2016, 8:43 pm

I've just looked at it with a loupe and while it could be a transfer (I don't know for sure), it's definitely painted over the top.
scolada
scolada

Number of posts : 57
Location : Atlanta
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Re: Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by studio-pots January 21st 2016, 8:52 pm

I am by no means an expert on this type of thing but I think that is likely to be French and made by Samson that was known for imitating work and marks from other factories or by a similar company.

_________________
Now you should know by now that Potty and I need to see your bottom - we're funny that way!
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7156
Location : South East London
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Re: Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by Mordeep January 22nd 2016, 10:49 am

If you glance quickly what looks to be crossed swords indicate its by Meissen. But they are not really crossed swords are they, just two crossed lines. So its more of a suggestion of Meissen than an actual item produced by them. Looking at the design the flowers look nicely done but if you can't see brush strokes on every petal then it is probably a transfer that has been touched up. The gilding although nice is also thickly applied and not the quality you would expect of a company like Meissen. Taking all that in then it looks to be one of two things, an early probably English copy of a Meissen in stunning condition (0.1% chance) or a late 19th century European copy of ok quality (99.9% chance). It's worth remembering that 150 years ago having the best hand painted ceramics was beyond the vast majority of peoples pockets. A dish like this if it was right would have been a months wages for your average worker in the 18th/19th century. That's why other versions exist.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 850
Age : 53
Location : Richmond Surrey
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Re: Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by scolada January 22nd 2016, 3:45 pm

You guys are always so helpful. I hope you know that I really do appreciate it. Thanks all.
scolada
scolada

Number of posts : 57
Location : Atlanta
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp Empty Re: Help needed with hand painted porcelain backstamp

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum