Brannam Owl Jug

2 posters

Go down

Brannam Owl Jug Empty Brannam Owl Jug

Post by big ed May 8th 2015, 11:58 am

Anybody come across pics or auction results for a Brannam Devon Owl Jug ? I got a great bargain today buying one along with a farnham owl , they are very alike although the brannam is better made and more colourful .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11936
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Brannam Owl Jug Empty Re: Brannam Owl Jug

Post by big ed May 9th 2015, 8:27 am

Brannam Owl Jug Pre_li13

have you seen another owl resembling this one , he was last seen about a hundred yrs ago acting suspiciously Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 6th 2015, 2:21 am

Hi Big Ed

Can you tell me what the base looks like? I should be able to give you a good idea what the going rate is with that info.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 6th 2015, 5:24 am

Brannam Owl Jug Pre_li10
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 6th 2015, 5:25 am

You can just make out Barum , N. Devon & the Reg number
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 6th 2015, 9:11 am

Pretty certain it is CH Brannam the only other option it could have been is Baron (William). It could date from just after 1900 but I am guessing based on Brannam from the period that it was made just after the 1st world war. If you enter the RD number into Google it should give you an idea when the design was registered.

Interestingly for me is that it is based on much earlier designs that Liberty in London revived or made popular again. It would not surprise me if Liberty did not get Farnham and Brannam to make them, they certainly both sold pottery through the store at the same time. Who made them 1st is anyone's guess but Brannam is known for a bit of copying when it comes to Italian design from the 1880s so they may have been inspired by Farnham. Not that it would have worried Liberty's. I have even seen a pewter jug with a cane handle in the same design with a Liberty tudric stamp.

As for value depends on the size but anything between 4-8 inches would be around the £100 mark. Not as collectable as Farnham but rarer so you could do well in the old ebay with it if one has not been about for a while. Check for hairlines on the handles though, they are prone to them and it crushes the value.

Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 6th 2015, 9:37 am

It's definitely 100% brannam , the reg Number dates it 1885-1914 , William Baron may have been involved in design ??? but who knows ? the N devon , dates it up to 1914 also , Baron wasn't there at that time , Liberty's got exclusive rights to sell the pewter version of the owl around 1902 , so far I have yet to see another one . I think it's more collectable than the Farnham of the same size , they can be found quite easily .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 6th 2015, 11:01 am

Think I may have confused you there Ed. William Baron split with CH Brannam in 1895 and set up his own pottery in Barnstable. His items are marked Baron Barum that's why I mentioned it. I have a few of his owls at my dads but they tend to be smaller and not so Farnham like. Good find anyway not seen many like that and not any in that colour. Had a blue one a while back with different marks to the base.

Interesting to hear about the Libertys pewter owl. Missed my chance to grab one a while back and not seen one since. Think I would probably not want to pay what it would sell for these days.

Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum