J P Hodin

4 posters

Go down

J P Hodin  Empty J P Hodin

Post by big ed February 17th 2015, 11:43 am

I recently bought a pile of old Auction Catalogues , in a Phillips 2001 cat. I spotted a pot that I have ( janet leach ) it said provenance J P Hodin , Josef Paul Hodin , I know he was associated with a number of the Famous St Ives artists and various others around Europe , do you think this would add value to a piece coming from this source or does it not make any difference ? Pic of the catalogue page -
J P Hodin  Book_010
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11936
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

J P Hodin  Empty Re: J P Hodin

Post by NaomiM February 17th 2015, 12:05 pm

I think it could add to the value. Provenance is especially important in the Art world, so why not with pottery too.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31867
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 17th 2015, 1:01 pm

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person/mp60959/josef-paul-hodin

I'm just finding out a bit about him Naomi , I would like to think it added a tad to the value .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 17th 2015, 1:18 pm

Iv'e just been advised that it would add value, not a lot ,about 10% as he had a superb collection .,
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 17th 2015, 1:37 pm

Not sure that you can quantify what it might add but it's more to do with provenance as Naomi says than someone wanting to own something that has belonged to him.

I had a Christmas card that he had received from the British Constructivist artist, Kenneth Martin, that I bought in auction very reasonably. Now sold.

J P Hodin  K_mart10

J P Hodin  K_mart11

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 17th 2015, 2:30 pm

No obviously I can't quantify the ammount it was a guestimate I was told , he is the provenance as verified by the catalogue and I believe there are some who would like to own a pot from a prestigious collector and just wondered if value would be added to such .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 17th 2015, 2:59 pm

If you sold through an auction house then such a provenance could generate extra interest and higher sale figure, but then you'd lose on the commission.
I doubt it would add value if you sold it through ebay.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31867
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 17th 2015, 3:05 pm

It would likely add some value regardless of where you sell it, but even if it does not increase the final sale price, it certainly wont lower it.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 17th 2015, 3:05 pm

Back in the 1990s Bonhams held a sale of studio pottery from the Geoffrey Godden collection (of Ency. of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks fame). There the prices were very modest for the time, probably because there were enough examples of the collected potters for bidders to have a choice and not having to go mad to get one.

It was the first auction that I bought studio pottery from and I have always wished that I had bought more. Over the years some others from the collection have come my way (they all had a sticker with the information on them) but I've never thought it has added to the value for my customers at least.

However, if you plan to sell this Janet Leach vase in auction, either on the internet or a traditional one the provenance (a copy of the page from the original catalogue) would make bidders more confident to bid and so the price that you would realise would likely be higher than without it.

If you had asked me then I would most likely have said 10% but not because Paul Hodin had owned it but because a person with knowledge had owned it.

Just a shame that it wasn't from Elvis's stash of Janet Leachs. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 17th 2015, 3:16 pm

thanks All , I'll keep the catalogue & pot for a while yet , I wouldn't sell it on ebay anyway , now gotta lot more catalogues and books to sift through , some look very interesting especially a book called "Potters of Southern Africa "( G Clark L.wagner , quick glance would appear a lot of british influence in it .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum