22 Crawford St.
climberg64
NaomiM
denbydump
dantheman
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Still collecting or downsizing? - Page 3 Empty Re: Still collecting or downsizing?

Post by Guest September 9th 2014, 11:10 pm

I checked out his pots from that link and I found them quite disturbing/dark, is that what the guy intended.

I agree he's a bit of a frocky horror though, but then who am I to judge. I wear scruffy jeans most days.

Back to top Go down

Still collecting or downsizing? - Page 3 Empty Re: Still collecting or downsizing?

Post by studio-pots September 10th 2014, 5:24 pm

big ed wrote:I wonder who actually paid those huge prices for her work , can we see yours Paul ? no pun Laughter
 Name dropping I know but Magdalene was "round my place the other week" and she said that her prices were as high as they were when she made them because she took ages over each pot so her output was very low.

She did seem surprised but flattered about the prices that some of her pots fetch these days: -
http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/news/2012/july/magdalene-odundo#.VBB4oqO9Y3w

Far better for her to get those prices than others I won't mention.

She is a very nice person despite the fact that she didn't bring me one of her pots as a gift and she took the side of Mrs. S-P. It seems as if I will have to keep a Lucie Rie that I was planning to include in an exhibition that I am holding in Central London in November.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 10th 2014, 7:58 pm

studio-pots wrote:
big ed wrote:I wonder who actually paid those huge prices for her work , can we see yours Paul ? no pun Laughter
 Name dropping I know but Magdalene was "round my place the other week" and she said that her prices were as high as they were when she made them because she took ages over each pot so her output was very low.

She did seem surprised but flattered about the prices that some of her pots fetch these days: -
http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/news/2012/july/magdalene-odundo#.VBB4oqO9Y3w

Far better for her to get those prices than others I won't mention.

She is a very nice person despite the fact that she didn't bring me one of her pots as a gift and she took the side of Mrs. S-P. It seems as if I will have to keep a Lucie Rie that I was planning to include in an exhibition that I am holding in Central London in November.

Yes , but what idiot paid those high prices ? surely the fact she took her time over a pot doesn't mean anything , I bet she was flattered , shocked would have been a better exclamation !.
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot September 10th 2014, 8:01 pm

rarity is the answer, for years people have had to be on a waiting list to get one
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 10th 2014, 8:08 pm

That's just a marketing con then .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 September 10th 2014, 8:49 pm

Oh yes, what exhibition is that SP?
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 10th 2014, 8:53 pm

big ed wrote:That's just a marketing con then .

Call it what you wish but I don't for one minute believe that she makes her pots very slowly in order to inflate the price.

Personally, I don't care for them but it is clear that enough people do and they have the money to be able to afford them, some enough money whatever they have to pay.

It does seem to be American money.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 10th 2014, 8:56 pm

climberg64 wrote:Oh yes, what exhibition is that SP?

It's on my website - a bit of a do in Mayfair - some old pots and new work from Aki Moriuchi (not pots) 18 - 22 November. I'll post you an invite.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 10th 2014, 9:00 pm

I didn't say she did , I do think it's a con though , whoever is supposed to be buying £100,000 pots would be daft imo , some people think that the more expensive a pot is the better the potter , couldn't be further from the truth , that would make G perry better than R Welch Big Laughter ps I don't like her stuff much at all and wouldn't buy at any price even if money was no object .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 10th 2014, 9:11 pm

big ed wrote:I didn't say she did , I do think it's a con though , whoever is supposed to be buying £100,000 pots would be daft imo , some people think that the more expensive a pot is the better the potter , couldn't be further from the truth , that would make G perry better than R Welch Big Laughter ps I don't like her stuff much at all and wouldn't  buy at any price even if money was no object .

I agree with what you say about some people can be conned by price. As everyone who makes or has seriously collected studio pottery knows and tells me, Edmund de Waal is a sixth rate potter at best and his suggestion that he is an artist is laughable. Yet his work or the work that he gets his dog's bodies to make goes for tens of thousands of pounds. Like it or not Magalene Odundo's work is lights years better, as his "Sir Robin's".

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 11th 2014, 12:32 pm

Agreed , money is only a factor that determines what I can or cannot have ,it is the pots that I love that matter , I'm happy others like different stuff that's the way the world works , So de Waal doesn't actually throw all his pots then , I didn't know that , how strange that is , I like to see other peoples collections even if I don't like them very much , there's usually some aspect to them that will appeal though not to the point of me actually getting my cash out , but if I do like I will try and buy , getting an honour from Mrs Windsor seems to push prices up ,so if /when Robin gets his watch for the prices to go through the roof , he might even get a blue plaque Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 11th 2014, 8:58 pm

At least Magalene Odundo's pots are technically very good, personally I like a lot of them.

I'm just glad that a potter, who can actually make pots, is able to sell them at high prices!

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 11th 2014, 9:09 pm

perhaps we should compile a top 10 worst potters list?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 11th 2014, 9:40 pm

Often that's a matter of taste. You might not like someone's work but think that technically their work is excellent ................. but if we are talking potters who have become famous and are technically awful potters then Eddie de Wally fills all ten places on any list.

Discussion closed. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 12th 2014, 12:28 pm

Potty wrote:At least Magalene Odundo's pots are technically very good, personally I like a lot of them.

I'm just glad that a potter, who can actually make pots, is able to sell them at high prices!

HIgh prices Yes good for potters Potty , ridiculous over the top prices not good for collectors .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 12th 2014, 12:29 pm

dantheman wrote:perhaps we should compile a top 10 worst potters list?
Top 10 Dan , more like top thousand Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 12th 2014, 4:47 pm

big ed wrote:HIgh prices Yes good for potters Potty , ridiculous over the top prices not good for collectors .

Agreed, but things that help raise the profile of Studio Pottery as a whole, will likely increase the value of peoples collections over time as well.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 12th 2014, 6:14 pm

I'm all for studio pottery's profile to rise in popularity , but i personally think that sort of money being bantered about can have an adverse affect , sort of saying only the elite can commission pieces like that are of any worth , I think a potter should earn their stripes first before a lot of hoo ha , we have already seen how the notoriety of pots / potters / artists can be achieved by other routes apart from the ability to throw a pot .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum