Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base?

2 posters

Go down

Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base? Empty Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base?

Post by mjron Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 am

Hi,

I have no clue about this piece.  It is a fairly large smokey amber/gray glass centrepiece bowl with a footed base.  There is off-white "tubing" wrapped around the base.  The underside has an acid finished pontil mark, so I don't know if this may be a more recent piece.  Any ideas?

Ron

Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base? Forums10
Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base? Forums11
Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base? Forums12
mjron
mjron

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base? Empty Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base?

Post by JoFish Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:43 am

Reminds me of a couple of beatifully made bowls I have here, by Neil Wilkin.

Some examples here (my two at end): http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37646.0.html

Follow the links in the thread for more of his work.

John
JoFish
JoFish

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base? Empty Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Smokey Colored Glass Bowl w Tubing Around Base?

Post by mjron Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:03 am

Hi John,

Yes, it is similar. Does the pontil mark look right to you? I'll try to find more examples of Wilkin's work and see if I might find this color.

Thanks for the help!

Ron
mjron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 am

The white bowl has a snapped pontil mark, much like yours but left alone. Has the mark on yours been ground down - perhaps to allow the bowl to sit flat?
JoFish
JoFish

Back to top Go down

Post by mjron Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 am

No, it just has a whitish grainy texture to it - I always thought that a texture like that was caused by acid being used to finish off a mark.  Is that right?

Ron
mjron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:49 am

Never heard of using acid on a pontil mark, if they wanted to smooth off any sharp edges I would expect it to have been ground. Much simpler than faffing around with corrosive chemicals.
JoFish
JoFish

Back to top Go down

Post by mjron Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 am

Someone told me this a number of years ago and I just accepted it without question as the person was quite knowledgeable. Perhaps I just misunderstood, wouldn't be the first time LOL.

Thanks again!
mjron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 am

Grinding can leave it with a grainy texture and looking whitish, if left unpolished.

There are plenty of acid etched makers marks, just cant think of any examples where pontil marks have been treated like that.
JoFish
JoFish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum