Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark

3 posters

Go down

Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark  Empty Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark

Post by Coll May 6th 2014, 12:59 pm

I bought this piece in a street market at the weekend and my first thoughts were that it was a large piece by Bob Dawe and that the mark was a Red Barn variation but I’m not really sure as it is quite different from any Red Barn mark I’ve come across before.

The vase has been leant over in the photo, the opening is slightly off top centre when the piece is stood on it’s base. The vase is 5 inches tall and roughly 5 inches in diameter. The piece is irregular in shape and seems to have been made from several pieces of clay worked together rather than being worked up on a wheel.

I’d be grateful for any comments regarding it’s maker etc..  Many Thanks, Coll.

Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark  DSCN1499

Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark  DSCN1498
Coll
Coll

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark  Empty Re: Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark

Post by big ed May 6th 2014, 1:04 pm

i don't know the maker , but deffo not Dawe .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark  Empty Re: Pomegranate shaped Spherical Vase, HL mark

Post by NaomiM May 6th 2014, 3:17 pm

It looks like a pomegranate or berry. I don't recognise the mark but it might be a local potter. Worth checking the craft potters associations to see if the potter is listed there: http://www.cpaceramics.co.uk/link.php

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31592
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Coll May 6th 2014, 5:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have been more and more doubtful over the mark and while I knew Bob Dawe did some spherical vases I have only seen a couple in photos. The mark looks like a building with a chimney though my wife thinks it looks more ecclesiastical, maybe a spire.

I know what you mean about the vase looking like fruit of some kind. It reminded me a little of a poppy seedhead. I've bookmarked the CPA site and will trawl through it when I have a couple of hours. If I find out anything I will let you know. In the meantime maybe someone else will recognise the mark.

Thanks again, Coll.
Coll
Coll

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 6th 2014, 5:09 pm

I think the letters are in the spaces, as it were. Looks a bit like HM
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31592
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum