ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base

4 posters

Go down

ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base Empty ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base

Post by Susi April 18th 2014, 5:12 pm

This vase measures 13 inches in height and 7 inches at the widest portion.  Please let me know if you have any ideas about the style and potential attribution.     I have not been able to make a determination as to a period or maker.  It is a nicely balanced piece, and the glaze is finely done, with a sculptural relief of a turtle, or tortoise, . . . .  

ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base Pinkgo12

Susi
Susi

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-05-13

Back to top Go down

ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base Empty Re: ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base

Post by NaomiM April 18th 2014, 6:52 pm

Can we have a photo of the base, please.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31591
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base Empty Re: ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base

Post by Susi April 18th 2014, 7:12 pm

I can't seem to upload a different photo than the one above! But the bottom is unmarked, and the clay is white, or off-white, the same color as you see at the top of the inside rim in the photo above.
Susi
Susi

Back to top Go down

Post by Susi April 18th 2014, 7:16 pm

Yikes! I figured it out. Here is the picture of the bottom:

ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base <a href=ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base Pinkgo19" />
Susi
Susi

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 18th 2014, 8:16 pm

It looks as though it's been over fired in the kiln. This may just mean it was on the edge, and is a second, or it may indicate a student piece. The base is a bit uneven which also indicates a student piece.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffingtons April 19th 2014, 12:12 am

I'd be surprised if that is a student piece. That's not an easy glaze effect to achieve.
Jeffingtons

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 19th 2014, 1:09 am

You're probably right. The photos don't do it justice. Could it be Japanese?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed April 19th 2014, 6:51 am

does look a nice vase , the base suggests oriental to me ,but I don't really know. Shrugs 
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Susi April 23rd 2014, 4:42 am

Here is another picture, a close-up of the relief sculpture, also showing a better view of the glaze.
ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base <a href=ID Maker of Vase with Pink and Gold Splatter Glaze on Cream Base Pinkgo24" />

Last edited by Susi on April 23rd 2014, 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Problems uploading image.)
Susi
Susi

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 23rd 2014, 8:56 am

It seems to be in the oriental style, but it's a bit too squat in the body and flat in the foot rim to be a traditional form and I haven't found any with gold splatter and turtles, so maybe by a US potter who's been influenced by Japanese/Chinese porcelain. Unfortunately, without a mark we'll have to wait until something similar appears with a label so we can identify it.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Susi May 18th 2014, 8:16 pm

I saw some pieces by Heidi Schoop that use a similar glaze. Anybody out there think it might be a piece by her? The base is also similar to what I've seen online as unmarked Schoop pieces.
Susi
Susi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum