Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch

2 posters

Go down

Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch Empty Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch

Post by mikelv85 February 26th 2014, 9:48 pm

Found this last Summer. I know it's not bronze because a magnet will stick to it so it's a ferrous metal. At 19" tall it weighs in at 12 lbs. The birds are removable with pegs on the bottom that fit into the branch. Now here's the thing. I found one online at "Cowan's Antiques" (see pic) it's almost an exact match. I say almost because this one is the same size but heavier even though the base is hollow. The auction one is done with silver patinated birds and has Japanese marks on the birds underside. Mine has no marks is all bronze patinated with just a touch of red color on the birds combs. So I figured this one is a copy/ reproduction. Doesn't quite have the detail either the birds backs are smooth with no feather detail. They polished out the seams from the casting but didn't take the time to do the feathers. It's still really beautiful but kind of an enigma.So who made this one? -Mike-

Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch Metal_10

Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch Metal_11

Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch Metal_12

Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch Cowen_10
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch Empty Re: Japanese or Chinese Metal Sculpture /Hen and Cockerel on a Gnarled Branch

Post by NaomiM February 26th 2014, 10:10 pm

I agree it looks like a copy. Probably modern & made in China for the interior decorator's market.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum