id help on small white glazed vase?

3 posters

Go down

id help on small white glazed vase? Empty id help on small white glazed vase?

Post by sunnyices2 February 10th 2014, 2:18 pm

id help on small white glazed vase? Img-2352

id help on small white glazed vase? Img-2353

id help on small white glazed vase? Img-2354

id help on small white glazed vase? Img-2355

first mark i can't make out... i see EG ENGLAND
sunnyices2

Male Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

id help on small white glazed vase? Empty Re: id help on small white glazed vase?

Post by NaomiM February 10th 2014, 3:11 pm

Any chance it says Fulham Pottery? (If you rotate the photo of the base it would give a clearer view of the other marks).
Looks a bit like Constance Spry's pieces, designed for Fulham Pottery in the 1940s, but it would have the oval stamp for Fulham Pottery and be made of a hard white stoneware, where as this looks like a softer cream-coloured pottery.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31592
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

id help on small white glazed vase? Empty Re: id help on small white glazed vase?

Post by sunnyices2 February 10th 2014, 4:27 pm

been looking at that mark... i see pottery but the other mark i can't really say if is fulham or not....
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 10th 2014, 4:57 pm

naomim you could be right with that Constance Spry's pieces :)
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 10th 2014, 11:51 pm

There are several listed on you-know-where = Fulham Pottery by Elaine Goddard.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 11th 2014, 7:49 am

yeah i know where  Happy ... that explains the 11 mark along side the EG mark i can see.... thanks a million naomim you've been of great help :)
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 8:45 am

It doesn't look like Fulham Pottery to me - the earthenware body looks an inexpensive mixture.

Is it something like Dartmouth Pottery?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 11th 2014, 9:27 am

been looking at her piece's again.... i think is by Elaine Goddard which explains the EG and 11 mark... yes your right dartmouth pottery did something like this but i don't think is by them... in my point of view i think is her early piece, that explains the England mark, not made in england :)
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 10:45 am

Until I saw her name mentioned here Elaine Goddard was someone that I had never heard of and there does seem little about her work out there that can be substantiated.

Firstly, I can't find any real evidence of any connection with the Fulham Pottery but she certainly designed items for the Holkham Pottery in Norfolk, probably during the late 60s/early 70s when production there was at its height.

It looks likely that she then started a company that produced moulded pottery items produced to her designs and this piece does look like one of those. My gut feeling is that this is likely to have been in the 1970s. However, I would be amazed if they were from the Art Deco period (1930s) as you see suggested elsewhere.

There was a lead to suggest that Elaine Goddard Ltd. was based in Guildford but that and the company number given do not match with any record at Companies House.

Last edited by studio-pots on February 11th 2014, 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 10:50 am

sunnyices2 wrote:been looking at her piece's again.... i think is by Elaine Goddard which explains the EG and 11 mark... yes your right dartmouth pottery did something like this but i don't think is by them... in my point of view i think is her early piece, that explains the England mark, not made in england :)

Please don't assume what you hear on certain TV programmes that because it only says "England" and not "Made in England" that your piece dates from the 1890s/early 1900s. That is complete and utter crap.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 11th 2014, 11:52 am

I was surprised at the mention of Fulham Pottery. I have a piece from there and it has the Fulham Pottery stamp and is stoneware, whereas this looks like a soft pottery.
The company ceased production in 1970
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t9074-the-pottery-fulham-london

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 12:04 pm

I saw where the Fulham Pottery reference came from and, knowing those involved, dismissed it.

Fulham Pottery was an unusal operation that certainly towards the end of its life supplied blanks, even in specific shapes, for individual artists or small operations that could be decorated and either returned to Battersea (where it was based at the time) for firing or be fired elsewhere.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 11th 2014, 12:09 pm

studio-pots wrote:
sunnyices2 wrote:been looking at her piece's again.... i think is by Elaine Goddard which explains the EG and 11 mark... yes your right dartmouth pottery did something like this but i don't think is by them... in my point of view i think is her early piece, that explains the England mark, not made in england :)

Please don't assume what you hear on certain TV programmes that because it only says "England" and not "Made in England" that your piece dates from the 1890s/early 1900s. That is complete and utter crap.

no i wasn't thinking that, i was thinking more around 1920 to 30's... anything made in england is around 1950's on wards
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 2:17 pm

My best guess is 1970s for your piece and I would rule out 1920s/30s.

If her company had been producing work back then I can see no reason why it would have been missed by Geoffrey Godden when he compiled the Encyclopaedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks in the early 1960s. Neither would all the researchers, who have written books about that period in pottery production, often focusing on the females involved, have missed her.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 17th 2014, 10:06 am

lol you where right john....i watch a lot of antique's programs on the tele because is something am passionate about... i will rule out 1920's/30... and stick to 1970's :)
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum