Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle

3 posters

Go down

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle Empty Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle

Post by Nik January 29th 2014, 12:02 am

May not be 20th C.

I assume the ridge in the glaze around the neck was caused by this bottle resting on another item in the kiln. I can see no marks other than the one near the neck (pictured).

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle P1000911

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle P1000912

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle P1000913

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle Bottle10
Nik
Nik

Male Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2011-11-02

Back to top Go down

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle Empty Re: Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle

Post by NaomiM January 29th 2014, 12:11 am

I would have thought the mark round the neck was a join between the main body of the bottle and the seperately moulded neck & shoulder.

Is it a ginger beer bottle?
Might be Continental.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31522
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle Empty Re: Salt glaze gin bottle - Possibly Portuguese Gingerbeer bottle

Post by Nik January 29th 2014, 8:23 am

I don't think so, it's off centre on the bottle (which would have made it more awkward to fit each neck) and that would not explain the lack of salt glaze above the line.
Nik
Nik

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 29th 2014, 11:55 am

Possibly it's where they've dipped the bottle in glaze, and not gone as far as the neck area.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nik January 29th 2014, 7:57 pm

Did they dip salt glaze?
Nik
Nik

Back to top Go down

Post by mowen January 29th 2014, 8:50 pm

I've seen cheap chinese ginger jars with this line, I wondered what caused it too, is it possible that they were fired with lids on?
mowen
mowen

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 29th 2014, 10:24 pm

The photos are showing what looks like a join, so without the benefit of handling the bottle it's difficult to know what to suggest is causing it.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nik January 30th 2014, 8:14 pm

My theory is that it was fired upside-down in the kiln, with the neck inside another object, shielding the neck area when the salt was added, and forming the ridge where the two items met. The base is glazed, and there are no other marks to show where supports would have otherwise been.

I don't think it's a join as the stamp is under the ridge and not on top of it.
Nik
Nik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum