Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info

2 posters

Go down

Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info Empty Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info

Post by rayandanne1 November 13th 2013, 6:50 pm

Hi

I'm new on here although I have been reading for some time, and hope someone can help me identify the maker of this vase.

The only Bill Wilson that I can find is in the USA and while the signature is not dissimilar to his, I am not convinced (even allowing for changes over time). Plus it's dated 1978 - 35 years old - while the American Bill Wilson says he has been potting for 'over 25 years'. Lastly, it seems pretty large (a massive 52cm tall) for someone to have brought back to the UK as an indivual piece (although not impossible of course)

Does anyone know of a Bill Wilson working in the UK?

Thanks very much in advance!
Ray

Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info 2013-112

Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info 2013-113
rayandanne1
rayandanne1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-11

Back to top Go down

Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info Empty Re: Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info

Post by NaomiM November 13th 2013, 8:27 pm

Nice pot.
It's a common name, especially in Wales, but I can't find another Bill Wilson either, but that's not surprising as there were many little potteries set up in the seventies which went unrecorded. I think your best bet is to email him and ask. Include links to the photos you've uploaded online .

Last edited by NaomiM on November 13th 2013, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info Empty Re: Bill Wilson vase - cannot find any info

Post by rayandanne1 November 14th 2013, 3:52 pm

NaomiM wrote:Nice pot.
It's a common name, especially in Wales, but I can't find another Bill Wilson either, but that's not surprising as there were many little potteries set up in the seventies which went unrecorded. I think your best bet is to email him and ask. Include links to the photos you've uploaded online .
Hi Naomi,
thanks for the response to our query. We cant understand how such a beautifully constructed vase can fly under the radar so to speak.
We'll keep researching in the hope that Mr. Wilson made more than just this one pot. It really looks like the work of a skilled artist.

Best regards,
Ray and Anne.
rayandanne1
rayandanne1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 14th 2013, 5:16 pm

The decoration looks like it might be based on the lifting gear of a Welsh coal mine, or Cornish tin mine, so I expect it's UK rather than US.
As it's dated it points to the work of a (talented) hobby potter, rather than a full-time professional (a professional studio potter who's churning out hundreds of pieces a day is not going to have time to put a date on every one of them).

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum