Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase

2 posters

Go down

Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase Empty Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase

Post by Dannd September 18th 2013, 3:18 am

I dont know why I purchase pieces that stump me, most likely because of that fact - the research and identification seem to be as thrilling as the piece itself! I came across this piece last weekend with an interesting impression. At first it struck me as Japanese as the mark reminds me of the symbol for 谷/'Tani'/Valley and the shape/colors/glaze/medium I find consistent with Japanese turn of the century "arts & crafts" style pottery. Although I am doubting my initial assumption of the piece and would love some other opinions (Naomi I know you'll dig deep in your research arsenal!). I find the stamp looks more like a "house" but that leaves me with little to search from. Most of my pieces are Asian which I can identify much easier and I havent dove too far into the European or American kilns yet - especially post-1950's - so your input is definitely appreciated! Thank you!

As a side note, the glaze is not as shiny as it is in the photographs, also it has slight iridescence that's not displayed.

Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase 1zxb0qw
Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase 13zrek1
Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase Oi6l4o
Dannd
Dannd

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-03-23

Back to top Go down

Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase Empty Re: Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase

Post by NaomiM September 18th 2013, 7:26 am

I'm not convinced it's Oriental. I'd expect the base to have a foot rim if it was Japanese, rather than a flat base. A small chance it could be from one of the smaller countries like Korea.
The mark does look like a house. It's not one I've seen before so I doubt it's European.
I'd have thought more likely to be local to you; 60s-70s Canadian or North American?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase Empty Re: Stamp identification Japanese Arts & Crafts (possibly) Vase

Post by Dannd October 4th 2013, 5:42 pm

I dont believe its Canadian as far as I can tell and from my current research of American companies, I've found nothing similar. Strangely enough I found another piece marked with the same mark in the store I originally bought this. The piece was a small lidded stoneware jar decorated with bamboo. Which draws me back to my Asian origin. I still have a suspicion it may be Japanese as I find its somewhat similar to Mashiko ware in its design/marking style. However the flat base still eludes me. Anyways thanks for your input!
Dannd
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 4th 2013, 6:00 pm

The E pencil mark might be a kanji character.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd October 4th 2013, 6:40 pm

Unfortunately its just a mark they use at the store for cataloging (much to my dismay as it's pastel and such a chore to remove, I couldnt even get it off the base no matter how much I scrubbed) but I thought it looked like a kanji character as well!  

Dannd
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 5th 2013, 10:13 pm

I can't find the mark amongst the Kanji characters so I still think it's made in the West (US/Canada). It looks very similar to Jim Behan's mark, (which is based on the shape of an Irish stone tomb). This mark appears to be based on the shape of a log cabin.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum