Help ID mark on studio pottery please?

3 posters

Go down

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Empty Help ID mark on studio pottery please?

Post by womandi September 14th 2013, 5:47 pm

Would anyone out there have ANY inkling as to who or what company made this strange piece of pottery? I'm stumped! Surrender I believe it's a candlestick, or a candlestick/vase combo? I'm including pictures of the potter's mark, which looks like a nice one. I just can't tell if it's two letters or a symbol of some sort. And what are or why are there small 'bumps' scattered on the exterior? If it helps at all, I'm in Western PA. Thanks, if you can and will! Excellent 

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Strang11

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Strang12

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Strang12

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Myster10

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Strang14

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Myster11

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Strang15
womandi
womandi

Female Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-13

Back to top Go down

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Empty Re: Help ID mark on studio pottery please?

Post by NaomiM September 14th 2013, 7:02 pm

Very unusual shape. I agree, it looks like a candlestick. Te shape looks a bit like an old fashioned brass and glass lamp where the candle went in the bulbous part and had a reflector in the curved back, but that's not it's function in this studio piece.
The impressed mark is difficult to make out in the close-up, but it looks like DG from a distance (ie, the 2nd photo).

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31572
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Empty Re: Help ID mark on studio pottery please?

Post by womandi September 14th 2013, 7:27 pm

Thank you. I see the second letter as an "E", but I can't really tell. Let me add a couple more angles of the mark.

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Myster12

Help ID mark on studio pottery please? Strang16
womandi
womandi

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 14th 2013, 8:05 pm

Alternatively the mark might be Oriental.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by womandi September 16th 2013, 1:50 am

Naomi, would this be classified as "stoneware"? Maybe Selden Bybee Pottery of Kentucky? Maybe the mark is "BB". Folk art pottery? Shrugs
womandi
womandi

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 16th 2013, 9:24 am

It is stoneware.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 16th 2013, 12:07 pm

No, I don't think it's BB for Bybee Pottery. From what I've seen of the company's pieces, it would have a backstamp consisting of an outline of Kentucky, a date and Selden Bybee, and a pattern number. Other pieces have an ink or impressed stamp with the company's details, or, on later pieces, an inscribed BB.  
Plus, this stamp doesn't look like BB, and the clay doesn't look right.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 16th 2013, 1:14 pm

I could well be wrong, but it doesn't strike me as a piece of 1920s Art Pottery, or a piece of Folkware (which is usually copying traditional pottery forms). Looks more like 1950-60s Studio Pottery, maybe influenced by one of the great Mid Century designers such as Sottass, Bitossi, or Picasso.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by womandi September 16th 2013, 3:14 pm

How about influenced by George Ohr? Or is it not really his style? I know he did some strange forms. Also, how do you call the raised mark? Is it a 'relief' mark?
womandi
womandi

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 16th 2013, 5:39 pm

How about influenced by George Ohr?
Possibly, assuming the piece is 1920s. But he may be a bit early if it's 50-60s vintage.

how do you call the raised mark? Is it a 'relief' mark?
I would just call it an impressed mark. They've used a seal (possibly made of pottery) with the monogram carved out, and pressed it into the soft clay. So even though the letters appear raised they haven't physically been raised, it's still an impressed mark.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum