Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?

4 posters

Go down

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Empty Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?

Post by Oldmagpie June 27th 2013, 4:35 pm

Haven't a clue on this any help appreciated, thanks

6.75" in diameter just under 3" deep

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Th_DSC_6272_zps9c0ff86e

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Th_DSC_6273_zps9b3e40a5

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Th_DSC_6274_zps79c737c4
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Empty Re: Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?

Post by NaomiM June 27th 2013, 5:19 pm

Looks like a rice bowl imported from the Far East, rather than Studio Pottery.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31545
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Empty Re: Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?

Post by studio-pots June 27th 2013, 8:35 pm

Agree with Naomi.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie June 27th 2013, 9:06 pm

thanks both
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 27th 2013, 9:21 pm

Does the glaze appear to have shiny copper flecks on the brown areas inside the bowl?

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie June 27th 2013, 9:29 pm

Yes it does, it kind of looks like gold glitter within it
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 27th 2013, 9:47 pm

Is there anything raised around the foot or on the base that looks like it could be hiding a sprigged mark?

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie June 27th 2013, 10:09 pm

looked it over closely and cant see or feel anything on the foot or anywhere else for that matter
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 27th 2013, 10:25 pm

If it's made from a very fine stoneware then I think it's possibly an earlier piece by Andrew Crouch.

He used this glittery glaze on earlier pieces I've seen, the clay looks right in the pictures, as does the glaze inside the foot.

His work is usually very fine, as this seems to be, though usually the throwing lines are less prominent than these look in the picture. Decoration looks right to me.

Would expect it to be sprigged with his mark if it were his, but I've seen pieces defiantly by him that were unmarked.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie June 27th 2013, 10:39 pm

Thanks Potty, it is fine stoneware and the bowl sides are about 3mm so fine-ish. I will have a look at him tomorrow and see if I can pin it to him or rule him out.
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 27th 2013, 10:52 pm

I see what you mean, Potty. I think it depends on whether it's a white porcelain (Far Eastern import) or a whitish stoneware (poss. Andrew Crouch).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 27th 2013, 11:27 pm

Were it porcelain I'd agree about it probably being a factory made import, but magpie says it's fine stoneware and it does look it to me.

A lot of Andrews work is very precise and does look like it could well be factory made. The 2 mugs I got recently look like they could have come from M&S. Big Laughter

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 28th 2013, 12:15 am

Looking at a few examples of Andrew's bases, it seems he uses a grogged clay. It this one grogged?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 28th 2013, 12:22 am

I don't think I've ever seen a piece by him that I would think is grogged, some were coarser stoneware than others, but still comparatively fine for stoneware, in my opinion anyway.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 28th 2013, 12:25 am

Well 'bitty', then. ie, visible little bits in the clay body, as though it contained a finely ground grog. There wouldn't be any bits in it if it was porcelain. so, Magpie, is this one smooth or bitty?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie June 28th 2013, 1:39 pm

Thanks to you both for your thoughts.

I have had a chance to look at this in daylight. I have to admit to not being the that great at the nuances of clay types Embarrassed , having studied it with an eyeglass I do not see any real signs 'bits' within the body it has a slightly quartz like look to me which might suggest porcelain, but it is off white as opposed to the purer whites I would normally associate with porcelain and it 'feels' softer than porcelain with the teeth test, but on the flip side it seems much finer if stoneware than most I have seen. So due to lack of experience on my part I cant give a defining answer to what its made of, I think I will err on the side of caution for now and go with porcelain import unless I can contact the potter and ask him Shrugs
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 28th 2013, 3:59 pm

Potty wrote:some were coarser stoneware than others, but still comparatively fine for stoneware, in my opinion anyway.

I'll stick Cheeky (though I'm still not saying "it is" by him, only a possibility)

Contacting the potter is the only way you'll know for sure.

I've only seen the copper glittery glaze (hard to describe) on pieces by Andrew Crouch, but there could be imports with that glaze.

P.S. A close up of the foot rim would probably show the clay better.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie June 28th 2013, 4:15 pm

As close as I can get

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Th_DSC_6320_zpsbc9e9eeb

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Th_DSC_6319_zps91a84afd

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  Th_DSC_6318_zps01768e28

I checked for his details no website or email only a phone number, bit difficult to describe over the phone, but I might pluck up the courage to ring him, will think about it. Pondering
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 28th 2013, 4:43 pm

It's hard to say, far east is still most likely, but I'd still not rule him out as a possibility.

Here is what I mean in my previous quotes about him using finer stoneware and it not appearing to be "grogged":

Umarked Brown Bowl Cross Hatch Decoration - Japanese?  110

From the pieces I've seen by Andrew, this is his medium coarseness of stoneware used (Bottom Left), compared with Mike Dodd (Bottom Right) and Yo Thom (Top).

AlanH has a couple of jars that are made from a finer/lighter stoneware.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t7572-andrew-crouch-the-marches-pottery

Last edited by Potty on June 28th 2013, 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 28th 2013, 6:36 pm

I think it would be pretty obvious if the clay had bits in, so if you can see them then I'd be confident in saying it's porcelain.
Tbh, the high footrim also points to Far Eastern manufacture.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 5th 2013, 10:26 pm

Another one has popped up on you-know-where. Listed as JAPANESE>STUDIO POTTERY>STONEWARE>PERSIMMON>RICE BOWL Not definitively id-ed as Japanese, but adds to the liklihood that it is.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty July 6th 2013, 1:10 am

Regardless of if the seller is correct, the ebay bowl does look to be from the same place and it's very unlikely to find 2 unmarked pieces by Andrew Crouch that match like that so conveniently. The ebay bowl I'd not have even considered Andrew Crouch as a possibility.

The seller does say it's stoneware though Cheeky Laughter 

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie July 6th 2013, 9:48 pm

Looks pretty much the same as mine so imported Japanese rice bowl seems to be the answer.
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum