dantheman
tenpot
studio-pots
big ed
8 posters

Go down

Chawans Empty Chawans

Post by big ed June 23rd 2013, 11:13 am

I often browse through the Teabowls / Chawans on ebay and I particulary like the rougher freeflowing types , I know I will go with my gut feeling as to what is best for me when buying , however I see a lot of pieces from Japan but know very little ( zilch) about the pieces I am looking at , yes the pics are very good but without actually touching them I can't judge them better, so what sort of names , areas of producing etc should I be looking out for ?( SP is probably the best to answer this), what maybe should be avoided at all costs ?

I need to look up what Mid Showa era etc means , basically I am asking what would you reccommend in these types of wares .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Chawans Empty Re: Chawans

Post by studio-pots June 23rd 2013, 2:16 pm

It took me years to take the plunge and I was fortunate to meet someone who collected such things and helped me with contacts in Japan.

The Showa period was from 1926 to 1989 and the mid Showa is usually a reference to the 1960s/1970s. In Japan, as in the UK,there has been an increase in the number of active studio potters from the mid 20th century onwards. These initially followed local traditional styles that hadn't quite died out and the majority of potters still do. However, some of the younger potters are currently making more experimental wares that might be of interest.

Living in the UK limits the opportunities to see and touch Japanese studio pottery, as much of what you come across casually at Antique/Boot Fairs is factory produced. Unless you are brave and make a trip to S.E. London of course!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 23rd 2013, 2:46 pm

Thanks SP , I'm still just thinking about dipping my toe in the water so to speak and I imagine it would take years of experience in this field to get anything like serious , buying from the younger potters would probably make more sense for me , I wouldn't rule out a visit down south in the future .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot June 23rd 2013, 3:28 pm

its all up to the Wabi Sabi Ed if you don't get it you aint going nowhere ,tho a trip to SE london may well be a Wabi Sabi experience ,, at your peril Big Shock
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 23rd 2013, 4:10 pm

Very true. In other parts of London you see Blue Plaques denoting where famous people lived but in S. E. London we only have yellow signs asking for help with murder enquiries.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 23rd 2013, 4:44 pm

You forget , I was brought up in Paisley Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman June 23rd 2013, 5:13 pm

but they were dragged up in Abuja Big Shock

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 23rd 2013, 6:15 pm

Anywho , iv'e placed a bid on one from japan , just to see what the quality and service is like , if I like I might buy more , assuming I win it of course Cheeky
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 23rd 2013, 7:15 pm

A question I've been meaning to ask about the boxes. Is it worth keeping a box if the pot inside is missing? Rescued one at the shop and not sure whether to keep it or chuck it. (Haven't deciphered the writing on it, yet, so don't know who the potter is).

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 23rd 2013, 8:06 pm

Best to probably keep it , it's unlikely you'll find the original pot , but you never know Shrugs
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal June 23rd 2013, 9:19 pm

This Japanese gallery's website is a good place to learn about contemporary and older ceramics - Robert always has gorgeous stuff for sale - it's the first place I'd go if I was ever lucky enough to be in Japan

http://www.japanesepottery.com/index.php
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 23rd 2013, 11:19 pm

Learn the difference between factory made (usually still hand thrown/decorated) and studio pieces, then buy what you really like in my opinion. The latter maybe not as important if you plan to sell.

There is a site called "Japanese-pots" (you may already know it Ed) that is very useful for trying to understand a bit more about it and identify the better studio pots from the factory made pots. Excellent

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 24th 2013, 7:06 am

Thanks Potty , Karen has a link to it , I will peruse at my leisure later on , PS didn't win the pot went for $54 , I only went 42, still it's a guide as well Excellent
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 24th 2013, 9:14 pm

NaomiM wrote:A question I've been meaning to ask about the boxes. Is it worth keeping a box if the pot inside is missing? Rescued one at the shop and not sure whether to keep it or chuck it. (Haven't deciphered the writing on it, yet, so don't know who the potter is).

I think I may have written this elsewhere but the first Japanese pot I ever bought in a box proved that it might be worth keeping.

At the time I hadn't really considered buying Japanese pots but bought this with a number of good British pots, as I thought the box looked good. Over time I wondered about the sake bottle inside that fitted very well and finally plucked up the courage to show the box and the bottle to a female Japanese potter that I knew. I showed her the box first and she was impressed like me. However, when I brought out the sake bottle with kanji script on it she laughed. It has been taken from a Japanese restaurant and the script was the name of the restaurant plus blurb about how good the food was.

So if you find a Japanese pot that fits put them on Ebay with no description and who knows what you might get for it.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 24th 2013, 9:47 pm

Ha! Hadn't thought of that. Good one. HappyExcellent

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 25th 2013, 4:00 pm

It does show how little we actually know about oriental pottery , it sometimes has a mystique about it when in truth it's no more mystical  than any of our own ( I blame Hamada & Leach for much of the gumph ) , I praise Ewen Henderson , work that one out , I can't Doh!Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot June 27th 2013, 5:18 pm

Its a bit smoke and mirrors really tho..
In Japan it might be worth a small fortune.
Outside of Japan,its probably fetches next to nothing.
Moreover,a picture can never ever tell you whether its real or not....
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6393
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum