Studio Vase - Chinese? Seal Mark

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Studio Vase - Chinese? Seal Mark - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio Vase - Chinese? Seal Mark

Post by big ed May 12th 2013, 3:20 pm

Thanks all , I'm not to good on the chinese characters , but very 1111ful just the same Laughter
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Studio Vase - Chinese? Seal Mark - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio Vase - Chinese? Seal Mark

Post by NaomiM May 12th 2013, 3:26 pm

Seems to be a two or four character mark. I agree with Potty about it probably being a personal seal. The 4 lines on the right are 'Great' and the character(s) on the left would be the person's name.
Not a usual Chinese emperor's mark, which is normally 6 characters, unless it's a 4 character Kangxi mark, when variations were common.
Might be Korean or Vietnamese piece where they used 2 character dynasty marks, but it doesn't look that early.
Possibly a copied faux-chinese mark made in Japan, but as you commented earlier, it's not a common shape so no reason to copy it.
Assuming it is Oriental, it would be made for internal use, rather than export. Seems quite roughly made, so may be a bottle for liquids or oils rather than a vase.
But that's all speculation. Still a mystery piece.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31492
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldmagpie May 12th 2013, 3:29 pm

Bit of cross posting going on there, but its possible that it was a European potter trying to 'Chinesify' there work Shock
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 12th 2013, 3:31 pm

Just speculating here, but it's possible that it's a court nobleman's personal liquor bottle - just as in the West nobles marked their glass wine and spirit bottles with their personal seals.
(In the East they had pottery rather than glass).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 12th 2013, 3:32 pm

Oldmagpie wrote:Bit of cross posting going on there, but its possible that it was a European potter trying to 'Chinesify' there work Shock

Depends on whether the seal translates as Great Peter Macdonald, or similar. Big Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 12th 2013, 3:33 pm

Might still be Chinese studio pottery.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 12th 2013, 3:33 pm

...seal might translate as Great B'stard Emporer

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 12th 2013, 3:38 pm

I'm thinking along the same likes as Oldmagpie, just because Chinese seals are used does not make it a faux mark (in my opinion), a bit like if one of their potters used a JH monogram, it does not mean they are copying Jane Hamlyn (or one of the various potters who's mark looks nearly identical) Laughter

It could be some simple statement such as "Great Peace" or something that means something to the potter.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 12th 2013, 3:39 pm

NaomiM wrote:...seal might translate as Great B'stard Emporer

Shock Big Laughter

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum