Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help?

2 posters

Go down

Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help? Empty Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help?

Post by Dunc April 25th 2013, 10:48 pm

https://servimg.com/view/17051368/43
https://servimg.com/view/17051368/44
https://servimg.com/view/17051368/45

Yep it is a screaming bronze bishop monkey about 6" high with hi pillar. I bought it in Belgium if that helps but I cant find a signature anywhere. Who made it, what does it all mean.....
Dunc
Dunc

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-11-21

Back to top Go down

Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help? Empty Re: Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help?

Post by Redware June 12th 2013, 1:57 pm

Hi, 
I'm not sure where does it come from or who made it. My guess would be that it relates to the OXFORD DEBATE in 1860 and Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, It was a debate about Darwin's "Origin of species" and our common ancestors: apes.

here is a citation from Wikipedia: 
He (Bishop Wilberforce) took part in the famous 1860 debate concerning evolution at a meeting of the British Association on the 30th of June. Richard Owen and Thomas Henry Huxley had already clashed on man's position in nature two days previously; on the Saturday, at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History, Wilberforce got his chance to criticise Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection, especially the implication that humans and various species of apes share common ancestors"

I hope that helps a bit. My guess would be then that it is English. Love the piece as well.

Kind regards
Simon
Redware
Redware

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help? Empty Re: Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help?

Post by Dunc June 17th 2013, 4:48 pm

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for the reply.  Certainly what you say makes perfect sense and I very much like to think that it was inspired by that incident.  I bought this sculpture and a very similar one (monkey peeking out from an egg) in a Belgian charity shop.  Perhaps attaching a photo of the second one may help.

Cheers,

Duncan
Dunc
Dunc

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware June 17th 2013, 8:54 pm

Hi Duncan,
that's even better you have another one, looks like someone has donated a pair. It would be great if you could post a picture of a second sculpture.

Thanks,

Simon
Redware
Redware

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help? Empty Eureka....

Post by Dunc June 18th 2013, 2:51 pm

Screaming bronze bishop monkey on marble pillar......any help? 03710

Hi Simon,

Great news!  I have found out who made both sculptures.  They are both by a Flemish sculpture called Tom Frantzen.  I have attached an image of the second one above, and the website for the artist below.  he seems to have done a lot of public art/sculptures here.

http://www.tomfrantzen.be

The monkey peeping from inside the egg is called 'Hello Mr Darwin'.  The other one is a study for a more complex piece, but I will mail him back and put forward your theory over the subject.  Really nice chap that said he is more than willing to sign the 'bishop' piece for me if I want.

Cheers,

Duncan
Dunc
Dunc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum