What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece.

+3
dantheman
skipposal
philpot
7 posters

Go down

What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece. Empty What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece.

Post by philpot March 23rd 2013, 9:45 am

Even the better dealers and private sellers on Ebay seem to think that 'Large' is anything much more than about 25 cms(10 ins) and huge is anything more than 30 cms(12 ins).
Now to me,large is a charger size 35 cms,and huge is 45 cms plus. The two biggest pieces I have are a 62 cms Michael Casson vase,and a 61 cms Joanna Howells vase.
But in the present contemorary Chinese studio ceramics in the Fitzwilliam Cambridge, there are enormous Pots by Felicity Aylieff that much to near 2 metres high.Now THAT is Huge!
So,is there any consistent size nomenclature than can be agreed on?
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6395
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece. Empty Re: What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece.

Post by skipposal March 23rd 2013, 9:55 am

Great question! For my collection large would be anything over 30cm diameter because I have a relatively small house. If I lived in a castle then one of Felicity Aylieff's pots wouldn't be huge, so I guess it's context?
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece. Empty Re: What is 'Large' when it comes to a Studio piece.

Post by dantheman March 23rd 2013, 9:59 am

I always considered 20 inches to be the size that stood out as a large vase but I suppose it depends on the size of the house

Last edited by dantheman on March 23rd 2013, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed March 23rd 2013, 10:24 am

Iv'e moved the topic here , it's all relevant as to what is large and what isn't , we had this out before as to what constitutes a floor vase , I have various pieces tallest being 65cm and a few at around 23" or so right down to the tiddlers .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot March 23rd 2013, 11:25 am

I would say it depends on the average size of the individual potter if most of the production is 10cm high then a 20 cm is big and a 30cm huge
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 23rd 2013, 11:45 am

tenpot wrote:I would say it depends on the average size of the individual potter if most of the production is 10cm high then a 20 cm is big and a 30cm huge

I think that is the way that potters do describe their work and it also depends on what they are describing. When I have held exhibitions of contemporary work that has come directly from the potter the descriptions I have used have always been those supplied by the potter. As an example, I held an exhibition last year that included work from Lisa Hammond. Her description of two of the items were "Large tsubo" and "Large coffee pot/cafetiere". The tsubo or water jar was 40 cm/16 inches tall but, although I don't have the height of the cafetiere, I don't remember it being the same size!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty March 23rd 2013, 10:23 pm

I also think it depends on the potter, same could be said for what is considered to be "small".

It also depends on the perception of the person describing the item.

Either way, I don't tend to pay much attention to vague descriptive words and rather know exact details, i.e. height etc. That way you can just make up your own mind, be it correct or not Big Laughter

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum