I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel

4 posters

Go down

I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel Empty I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel

Post by Flintztone March 15th 2013, 2:56 pm

The furniture was described as birch wood, but my instincts tell me it's teak.   I could be wrong.  This 'Teak' unit has two bench like seats and the two front side panels that opens outwards from the handle as can be seen in pictures, were as, the middle large panel (table top) opens by I recessed bottom middle section that pulls outwards.  All wooden supports work off hinged mechanisims.   These are the only pictures I have to go on at the moment and hope to get more, that's if it has not been sold by now. Trying to get hold of the owner is currently a nightmare! Shock   The rear of the unit has an rectangular white label with the markings 'Guarantee HERKEL furniture gold medalist'.   I've heard of Ercol, but not this particular name.   I'm wondering if this is a replica!  I've tried researching under Ercol, but unable to identify.  There is very limited amount of information I can retrieve online about Herkel.   The Unit is extremely heavy and very well made, even down to all joints, that includes drawers that incorporate, dovetail joints.  The thicknes of panels are 3/4".  The mechanisms are steel bearing locking fixtures.  The top panel is made from 3 sections length ways. The seating areas, which consist of two.......... are, I think, a thick, textured plastic type material.  There's plenty of storage area within all 3 boxed sections that include shelving.  Who ever designed this, I would say, put a lot of thought into not only the size, referring to the width (14 3/4") but the utility of space also.  Your help is appreciated.  Sorry about the limited amount of pictures at the moment, but hope ones posted are sufficient.

[img]

[img]

Last edited by denbydump on March 12th 2023, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pos ID)
Flintztone
Flintztone

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel Empty Re: I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel

Post by brin mcardle March 15th 2013, 4:25 pm

Like the seating arrangement
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel Empty Re: I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel

Post by Flintztone March 15th 2013, 8:40 pm

Thanx, still can't get hold of the owner in order to post further pictures. I will try tomorrow. Sad
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by trellis April 11th 2013, 2:28 pm

Herkel were fairly established maker's- there have been several examples of their work turn up on ebay. I think they're Australian and their work dates from the '30s onwards
trellis
trellis

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone April 20th 2013, 1:14 am

Hello Trellis, Thank you for letting us know. Do you have any sites that I could visit or examples of their work. I manage to get hold of the owner and an agreement was struck. So I am now the proud owner of this unit. It's in storage at the moment. I should have taken pictures prior. I definately will post further pictures. I'm currently decorating, so have not really decided where it will go. All the storage compartments are full, so I will need to find a place for them too. Pondering
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by trellis April 22nd 2013, 2:59 pm

Unfortunately have little information to give- the Australian idea comes from a suite offered at Tennants Auctioneers a while back? Have a good look through Google and Invaluable and you might find out more
trellis
trellis

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone April 27th 2013, 1:10 am

Cheers! Trellis, I will get on to it. if I do find anything, I will keep you posted. Happy
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone May 10th 2014, 6:58 pm

Hello all,  I thought I would at some point get round to posting additonal picts.  I was able to find a Herkel furniture list.on Ebay, item number - 400677749783.   Not much information though.  Shock    I've tried Google and Invaluable, but limited, in fact, not been able to find anything on this unique sideboard unit.   Hope someone will recognise this by the label attached. Happy 

I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel 124  I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel 712  I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel 2310  I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel 2610  I.D needed on this very unusual looking - teak side board unit - Herkel 2510
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 10th 2014, 7:08 pm

Could it have come out of a caravan or a barge? Doesn't seem the sort if thing you'd have in a flat or house.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone May 10th 2014, 11:01 pm

You could be right NaomiM.   I did not think about that. My only concern with that though, would be the overall weight and the inclusion of fixtures, that's if it was designed for a barge.   A caravan seems more probable, don't you think?
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 10th 2014, 11:54 pm

The label looks 1930s. If it was for a caravan it could well have been a special commission with few pieces made. You could try asking the V&A.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone May 11th 2014, 11:48 pm

Thanx NaomiM, I will follow up your info. Any further information gathered, I will keep you informed. Appreciated!
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum