Ian Auld

3 posters

Go down

Ian Auld Empty Ian Auld studio piece

Post by big ed August 3rd 2011, 11:44 am

Ian Auld 01210

12" high , possibly Ian Auld , these pieces were called Derricks and from around 1961 , it has quite a few little chips .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11936
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Ian Auld Empty Re: Ian Auld

Post by big ed August 3rd 2011, 11:44 am

Ian Auld 00313
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 3rd 2011, 11:46 am

Ian Auld 01011
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 3rd 2011, 11:49 am

Ian Auld 01610
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 3rd 2011, 5:18 pm

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/museum/ceramics_collection/ea_Studio_Ceramics.page?

british studio ceramics,
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 4th 2011, 9:32 am

You're not going to be able to get a definitive answer Ed, as Ian is no longer around, and I can't really say one way or the other.

The form looks OK and the note that it has several small chips is something that Ian's work often had, so that fits.

What is more of a problem is the glaze, as virtually all of Ian's pieces that I have had or seen have had matt glazes. It could be argued that this is a trial piece (hence the number) so he was trying out a different glaze. That would also tie in with it not being marked.

The stoneware body isn't as light in colour as the two pieces of Ian's work that I currently have but I don't have a record of the pieces I have sold.

Therefore in conclusion I would not rule it out as being by Ian Auld but don't feel confident enough to say that it is likely to be by him.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 4th 2011, 9:40 am

Thanks John , I agree with all you say , I have tried to compare with the ones in the Tony Birks book and it fairs pretty good with them , al the sizes are correct the clay looks spot on , even the chamfer on the base , some paint marks do describe different glazes , the ones in the book don't appear to have any initials either , I have see one or two without marks , but as you say he is no longer around or many of his contemporarys , I have sent some pics to museums and see what they think , I get the strong feeling it is right , but I can't say for sure yet , Ed
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 4th 2011, 9:48 am

If a museum has several and is prepared to take the time to compare then you would have a better idea - best of luck.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Primate August 4th 2011, 1:32 pm

I must say that a derrick is an unusual subject for a piece of pottery; might Ian have worked in an area where they would be a feature of the landscape?
Your piece looks like the Victorian era style of derricks that supported the drilling machinery for sinking mine shafts and venting holes that were needed as the tunnels got longer (more modern ones are basically giant Meccanno sets). Relics are still seen dotting the landscape around the West Country and the North-West, and as your piece is basically a faithful representation of the real thing it may help to find out if there is a derilict one near to where he worked. If you were to find that he could actually see one from his workshop it really could help the attribution.
Potty Primate
Potty Primate

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 4th 2011, 2:41 pm

Potty Primate wrote:I must say that a derrick is an unusual subject for a piece of pottery; might Ian have worked in an area where they would be a feature of the landscape?
Your piece looks like the Victorian era style of derricks that supported the drilling machinery for sinking mine shafts and venting holes that were needed as the tunnels got longer (more modern ones are basically giant Meccanno sets). Relics are still seen dotting the landscape around the West Country and the North-West, and as your piece is basically a faithful representation of the real thing it may help to find out if there is a derilict one near to where he worked. If you were to find that he could actually see one from his workshop it really could help the attribution.

It's good thinking but at the time he made these things his workshop was in deepest Essex!

However, your post got me investigating and something I didn't know was from 1954 to 1957 he was abroad where he set up a Pottery department in an Art School in........................... Baghdad.
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 4th 2011, 4:21 pm

It would appear you are on the right lines , the book says regarding the derricks - ( few made at this time )He denies being influenced directly by persia and Arabia art but the slab pots he made on his return to england seem to belong more to a Middle Eastern townscape than any european tradition , most if not all of these pots were in the artists collection and with Gillian Lowndes , who he later married.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 25th 2011, 9:42 pm

I have had an email from the anthony shaw collection who have stated they can confirm this is by Ian Auld,
The Anthony Shaw Collection is one of Europe's most important private holdings of modern British studio ceramics.

http://www.anthonyshawcollection.org/
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Ian Auld Empty Ian Auld

Post by studio-pots February 24th 2013, 12:36 pm

Below is a 6 inch (15.25 cm) tall bottle made by the potter Ian Auld (1926 - 20000). It probably dates from the late 1960s and at the latest 1974, as he made very few pots after that date.

Ian Auld Auld_610

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 24th 2013, 12:49 pm

Here is an image of his impressed mark (sorry that it isn't that clear).

Ian Auld Auld_m10

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 26th 2023, 4:26 pm

A couple of pieces of work by Ian Auld - the press moulded dish had a painted mark.

Ian Auld Auld10

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: