Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff?

3 posters

Go down

Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff? Empty Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff?

Post by OmarLittle January 23rd 2013, 5:14 pm

I just purchased these at a mid century consignment shop and the salesperson didn't have any information on the origin or age, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction?

They are approx. 12" tall and 5" wide at the widest point with 1" diameter rim at the top. They have very heavy clear glass bottoms with the rest of the vessel a smoke grey that lightens as the glass thins towards the top. They have no manufacturer markings at all that I can find. I really like them and would love to find out more about their origin.

Thanks in advance!

Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff? Img_1413
OmarLittle
OmarLittle

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff? Empty Re: Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff?

Post by styleinvasion January 23rd 2013, 5:59 pm

ikea it is...
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff? Empty Re: Mid century handblown vase or newer knockoff?

Post by NaomiM January 23rd 2013, 6:32 pm

styleinvasion wrote:ikea it is...

I second that. Made in China or Poland would be my guess.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by OmarLittle January 23rd 2013, 8:41 pm

Well I do like them irregardless so I guess that just means I overpaid for them Doh!

Are there some tell tale signs that one uses to determine this or is it just having a broad familiarity with the more sought after pieces from the era with most everything else being newer stuff from places like China and Poland? I would like to have something to look for next time I find myself trying to determine if a piece is worth the price.
OmarLittle
OmarLittle

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 23rd 2013, 8:50 pm

At this stage in your collecting it's best to go for something that's signed, such as Holmegaard, Orrefors, Kosta Boda, Flygsfors, etc.

But I always go with the heart rather than the head, and have 'wasted' a lot of money on similar pieces. Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum