Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help

3 posters

Go down

Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help  Empty Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 3:12 am

I've had this vase for a few years and its always been one of my favorites, due to both the shape and glaze. It's about 14 inches tall, the glaze on it (which I'm sure there is name for this technique but I don't know it) appears like water droplets, they have texture you can feel and stand out from the vase a cm or two. No marking on the bottom, looks a sticker long ago was removed. No idea where it comes from but would like to know. Any input greatly appreciated.

Vase
Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help  Brownspacklevasefull

Bottom detail so you can see the glaze pattern
Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help  Brownspacklevasebottom
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help  Empty Re: Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help

Post by dantheman January 11th 2013, 10:17 am

looks like a mark on the foot

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help  Empty Re: Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 12:25 pm

On the right side? I've looked at it closely a million times - if it is it in indecipherable to the point not even one letter is clear.
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 11th 2013, 2:23 pm

yes at 4 o'clock

I thought it was indistinct but there are ways of bringing out indistinct markings (if it is one)

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 2:29 pm

dantheman wrote:yes at 4 o'clock

I thought it was indistinct but there are ways of bringing out indistinct markings (if it is one)

I had eventually written it off as an unfortunate series of kiln/glaze scratches that resembled letters after much, much frustration. But now that you have me looking at it again, that old feeling of "maybe it is a mark" is returning. What would you suggest for bringing it out? (I tried the paper on top/ pencil rub long ago to no success.) Can't hurt to try something to close the matter once and for all.
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 11th 2013, 2:59 pm

a soft pencil rubbed over the mark with no paper might help but the more I look the more I doubt its a makers mark

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 11th 2013, 3:05 pm

Vallauris pots in my collection have the same foot and the vase shape looks Scandinavian Um...

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 3:17 pm

dantheman wrote: Vallauris pots in my collection have the same foot and the vase shape looks Scandinavian Um...

Thanks! Stuff like this helps me just because I have exhausted my own leads to research. So even if you don't know what it is info like the bottom being similar to a certain maker gives me new avenues to explore.

What I'm really hoping is someone seeing that unusual glaze used on other pieces and tracking it down that way, at least I think that might be the best bet.

BTW - what is that style of glaze called??? It has that water droplet effect, and I'm sure there must be a name for it I just don't know it.

dantheman wrote:a soft pencil rubbed over the mark with no paper might help but the more I look the more I doubt its a makers mark

I will try that when I get home from work this evening, just because it can't hurt. But believe me when I first got the vase that little area drove me batty. I did write it off years ago as nothing, but it doesn't take much for me to start doubting it. Until I get some info on the vase I can't be sure of anything.
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 3:30 pm

Well, I've started to answer my own question about the glaze. There's an academic article that mentions this "water drop" glaze being found in dig sites in Mass and other early American settlements. It got the attention of some of the archeologists because of the very unusual pattern and over the years a few examples turned up. They research it and found the original pieces were from Japan - and very popular in the Victorian era.

Now I don't think this relates much to my piece other than it is the same glaze, it is a technique originally from Japan, and it seems to have made its way aboard and gained much popularity 175 years ago. If nothing else I'm glad others were struck by the unique glaze as I was.

Interesting tidbit even if it doesn't help me that much. If interested here is the article:

http://www.academia.edu/229341/A_Pernicious_Influence_Japanese_Water_Drop_Ware
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 3:48 pm

MirnaMinkoff wrote:I can't seem to edit/insert so I need to correct my above post - the water drop ware was popular in the Victorian era, not early 1800's.

Here's a photo of "water drop" ware shards from a dig site. It's obviously the same technique, but mine is over a white base and not quite as thickly applied:

Tall MCM Onion Vase, Spackle Texture Glaze - Please help  01bbw

Edit:
Grrr... Idk why the image won't display. Here's the direct link to image:

http://www.chipstone.org/publications/CIA/2004/beaudrynd/bigwin/01bbw.html
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 6:26 pm

And I can find zero other examples of this bizarre "water drop" glaze anywhere else online other than a few shards of 1870's pottery from dig sites. Not even whole piece antique examples seem to have survived. I can't fathom this vase being more than 30 odd years old. I'm assuming some very creative potter revived some old glazing techniques, but why can't I find 1single example anywhere else of this glaze is maddening. I've tried searching glazes using the terms water drop, oil and water, droplet, curdled, Etc...

I know most posters here see tons of pottery - has anyone encountered this type of glaze before?
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 11th 2013, 6:39 pm

Facinating.
Well you learn something new every day.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31566
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 11th 2013, 7:12 pm

NaomiM wrote:Facinating.

Yes, it is interesting, but why must so many of my pieces end up being "learning experiences" ? Frustrated
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 11th 2013, 7:38 pm

MirnaMinkoff wrote:
NaomiM wrote:Facinating.

Yes, it is interesting, but why must so many of my pieces end up being "learning experiences" ? Frustrated

But that's half the fun. Happy If there's ever a table 99% full of well labelled items, I'll always buy the one the dealer knows nothing about.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31566
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum