Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter

5 posters

Go down

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  Empty Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter

Post by MirnaMinkoff Sun 6 Jan - 18:57

I recently found and bought two pieces of pottery from Joanna Price. She was a mid-century studio potter who I believe worked out of the state of Ohio for at least part of her career. From the scant info I have turned up I know she worked from at least the early 1950's until 1970. All the examples I have found have been stoneware. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out a lot of information about Price or her work, but she is mentioned in the exhaustive lists of potters that some of the big antique art galleries post about artists they both sell and buy. While sometimes these lists include more info about the artists listed, that has not been the case with Price. I shouldn't complain too much because at least I have found some information and examples of her work, which is more than I can say for some signed pieces I have. But it seems she is a recognized studio potter and given what I have been able to dig up online I'm sure there is more information on her out there, it just hasn't surfaced online yet.

So, I'm posting a photo of the two pieces I own, along with the signature on the bottom of one.

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  Joannapricebothvases

I'm particularly smitten with the small vase on the right, that has a great pattern of abstract circles. I would love to find a larger piece with this pattern.

Here is photo of the signature on the bottom of the blue vessel. The other piece has a simple signature in black paint that read JP in a circle and next to that the OK mark.

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  Joannapricefullsignatur

Here are some of the links I've found online that feature her work.

From the studio potter's archive blog (Price's piece is in the center)
http://www.studiopotterarchiveblog.com/spablog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/BLOG-B-1b.jpg

I'm hoping this posting might bring some info out of the woodwork or someone else who owns some of her pieces may be doing some research and come across this post. I'm very interested to see other examples of her pottery and would love to find out any bio information. I'll be thrilled if anyone on this forum is familiar with the name or work, but won't hold my breath. If nothing else I hope this post spurs some research.

Last edited by skay on Fri 8 Mar - 9:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Auction link removed)
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  Empty Re: Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter

Post by TamaraHicks Fri 8 Mar - 9:01

I have several pieces of Joanna Price Studio pottery. I bought 10 pieces at an estate sale. Some are signed by her, some are signed Leonora, one not for sure, and a few unsigned. They are large, and pretty bazarre! Very unusual pieces! I have also been researching her, as I plan to list them on eBay. I'd be glad to send you pictures of them, or share my research, but I probably have found about the same info as you have on her. I believe she was from Dayton, OH, and a piece is signed with that information too.

Tamara
TamaraHicks
TamaraHicks

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-08

Back to top Go down

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  Empty Re: Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter

Post by skay Fri 8 Mar - 9:28

Welcome to the forum Tamara Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  124209

We'd love to see your pictures here in this thread. Please see the link below.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t3970-how-to-upload-images-to-your-posts

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraHicks Fri 8 Mar - 16:11

[url=https://servimg.com/view/18165836/7]Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  159_0011[/url
TamaraHicks
TamaraHicks

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraHicks Fri 8 Mar - 16:24

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  216_0011Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  212_0011Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  200_0011Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  185_0012
TamaraHicks
TamaraHicks

Back to top Go down

Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  Empty Update on Ohio, USA artist Joanna Price

Post by Mommapud Tue 9 Nov - 12:10

Another Joanna Price unusual vase found in a collection I am helping with.
This one has a lava type glaze on a section. It is 16” tall by 5” and weighs just over 6llbs.

On Flickr a user named Jim has photos of a couple of pieces and this information “ This vase is by Joanna Price (1923-2001), who worked in the mid-20th century in Dayton, Ohio. It features a frothy drip glaze. A car crash in 1974 left her blind, but she continued to produce ceramic work. ”-
which I have been unable to corroborate.
I did see that Per Vasefinder: Joanna and Wilbur (also seen spelled Wilber) Price worked from Ohio. Their work was featured in the reference "The Complete Book of Ceramic Art" by Polly Rothenberg.
Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  D8ccf810
Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  F7cee210
Joanna Price - American MidCentury Studio Potter  79d4e710

Ruth
Mommapud
Mommapud

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue 9 Nov - 12:46

Interesting forms.
I've saved the Flickr example on Pinterest

https://pin.it/3YLoQHC

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum