Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil

4 posters

Go down

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   Empty Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil

Post by RVsaid December 9th 2012, 12:45 pm

Hello

Any thoughts about this soda glass bowl vase?

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   P1020730

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   P1020731

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   P1020732
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   Empty Re: Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil

Post by Nic December 9th 2012, 1:10 pm

No idea, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it glowed under a UV light.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   Empty Re: Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil

Post by RVsaid December 9th 2012, 1:16 pm

Yes it does, forgot to say. Not the most active response but a definite one. I think there is something very like it in the awful Judith miller books either 2011 or 2012 and it wasn't Whitefriars but hey ho they are not really known for their accuracy Rolling Eyes
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 10th 2012, 1:08 pm

Might be Daum. I've seen some bubble glass listed as 1930s, and I've seen green Daum glass of that date. Can't remember any globe-shaped vases, though, and they tended to put a foot on it.

Barovier developed bubble glass in Murano in the 30s.

Keith Murray designed some bubble vases for Stevens & Williams, but they are ovoid and a light blue.

And Carlo Scarpa made it for Venni in the 70s.

Nice ground pontil so it's got some class, but without a signature the best you could get is 'attributed to...' if you can match the shape and colour to a signed piece. I think Scarpa is your best bet, but as it's unsigned it might be a copy by Seguso Vetri D’ Arte
If you google "Carlo Scarpa 'a Bollicine' bowl, Venini & C., 1932-36" you'll see something similar.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by RVsaid December 11th 2012, 9:20 am

Cool, thanks everyone
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Christine December 14th 2012, 2:23 pm

Can we see a picture under UV light. IMHO it might be Walsh Pompeian
This one is
Christine
Christine

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-02-03

http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RVsaid December 15th 2012, 11:44 am

Green bowl vase with flat base and ground out Whitefriars style pontil   Glow10
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Christine December 15th 2012, 6:21 pm

I think it might be Walsh Pompeian
Christine
Christine

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-02-03

http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum