Pitcher Jug ID

4 posters

Go down

Pitcher Jug ID Empty Pitcher Jug ID

Post by Flintztone December 9th 2012, 3:27 am

Hello, I am unable to find any details about this pitcher jug. It is marked 755 and R E. Jug measures approximatley 24.2cm in height.
Flintztone
Flintztone

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

Pitcher Jug ID Empty Re: Pitcher Jug ID

Post by Flintztone December 9th 2012, 3:39 am

[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo013[/img]
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 9th 2012, 8:25 am

It looks to be late Victorian (c.1880-1890s). Can you post a photo of the mark on the base?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31503
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 9th 2012, 9:15 am

I agree it's not a 20th Century design

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone December 10th 2012, 1:08 am

I hope these additional pictures will help. Just to let you know, the painted work is only on the front. Thank you[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo017[/img]
[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo018[/img]
[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo020[/img]
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 10th 2012, 7:54 am

Victorian. Possibly made in Germany. 755 would be the pattern number. I can't see the RE which might narrow it down to a manufacturer or it might just be the initials of the decorator.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone December 10th 2012, 11:39 am

Hello! Thank you all for your help. I have taken an additional close up picture that might help . Just below the Number 4, there are two character letters, which I think are R and E. I have tried searching for information but just can't find any clues as to the manufacturer or maker.

[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo021[/img]

Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 10th 2012, 11:52 am

The RE looks like a decorator's initials.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 10th 2012, 11:59 am

It might be French, copying the High Victorian Limoge style.
I'm afraid, unless it carries the mark of a well known maker like Limoge or Sarreguemines, this style isn't very popular these days.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone December 12th 2012, 2:18 am

Lamoge pieces are highly collectable regardless of style. I have found out that Limoge is a region Sth. Wst. of paris in the Vienne valley and not a maker. The vase I have posted is a hard paste porcelain vase, that has a transluscent thickly applied glaze. The pattern is all hand painted. There is a limited amount of colour variation applied and the colours are certainly not bright. I do think that the marking is a form of signature by the maker of this vase.
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty December 12th 2012, 2:42 am

I'm unsure if it's a period piece (Victorian) or a later version. But I suspect it's a later continental piece (Looks like European numbers to me?).

It would have been relatively "mass produced" (for the time), I say this because of the molding, the simplicity of the painting and the fact they have only painted the one side.

The painted mark could either be a code for that colour-way or a decorators mark.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 12th 2012, 11:43 am

Yes, I agree with Potty. Copying the Limoges style, but mass produced for the 'man in the street'.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone December 12th 2012, 9:20 pm

Based upon your uncertainty and the fact that it is 'mass produced'. I am struggling to find mass produced pieces of this design and shape. The artwork applied is of exceptional quality when you think of period. I do know that whiteware blanks were exported to be decorated by other manufacturers. Could this be what you mean? I have since contacted a relative who gave me the vase during the time they were moving location. I sent them an email and picture of the vase along with the comments so far. I have recieved a reply to say that the vases were given to them by their parents, who frequently went over to France and Austria and it was common for them to purchase floral design vases, figurines etc. they also stated that the vases were brought from an antique shop. They have also informed me that I should have had a pair. Since then they have managed to find the other one that was still intact in an unopened storage container and will be posting it to me within the next few days, I hope! If the other vase is identical, base upon your assumption, then I would be enclined to agree that they maybe and I say mabe, mass produced. Evidential facts is what I need in order to put some kind of a label on this vase. Your information has been of help, as it has prompted me to look into this further.
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone December 28th 2012, 3:48 am

Finally I have managed to receive the other vase in question. They are not identical. I have been informed that these vases were brought as a pair. I am have been trying to find further information based upon comments made 'mass produced' , but to be honest I am not having much luck. Any further help is appreciated.

[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo028[/img]

[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo032[/img]

[img]Pitcher Jug ID Photo033[/img]
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 28th 2012, 11:33 am

'Mass produced' simply means factory made, with a production line of workers taking the blanks out of moulds and sending them to semi-skilled painters who applied the coloured glazes. Produced relatively cheaply for the middle classes.

It looks as though they are a pair since the coloured glazes are on opposite sides so they would face each other on the mantle piece.

Since they are probably Victorian or early 20th Century, French or German, then it is not unusual that they would end up in an antique shop in France or Austria.

As for the manufacturer, that is still to be discovered, but it's doubtful that would add to their value since it's unlikely to be one of the big names such as Limoges. It's more akin to 'Staffordshire pottery' which is a style of wares made by many small factories in the 19th Century.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 28th 2012, 11:37 am

(by 'Staffordshire pottery' I mean the figurines decorated on just one side, made for the mantle piece).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintztone December 28th 2012, 9:55 pm

Thanx for you info. Not being knowledgeable on the subject matter has definately helped me understand what to look for. I have looked at the other names you have mentioned and can see your reasons for you doubting it to be one of these. I am still trying to find out the signature marks, as this could help in my search for the maker. I have tried searching for similar shape vase, especially with this type of mould. I would have expected to at least find some during my research. They are lovely vases, undamaged and retain there quality irrespective of value. It is the period that I find of great interest , thanks to you and now it would be nice to find out who made them. I am currently researching German pottery as a possibility, but like you said, it could be either.
Flintztone
Flintztone

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty December 29th 2012, 7:18 am

Flintztone wrote:Based upon your uncertainty... The artwork applied is of exceptional quality when you think of period.

Sorry but I'm certain that the painting is of fairly poor quality Surrender

If you look close at the painting you should be able to see that it's more like paint by numbers (keeping inside the lines of the mould), than fine art. I.e. they will have been painted as fast as possible, whilst keeping them aesthetically pleasing.

Also I doubt they are "hard paste porcelain", I would expect them to be much lighter and made from white earthenware.

You may not agree with me and think I'm just making negative comments, but I'm actually trying to help you.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum