My wife just bought these at auction ....

+3
brin mcardle
NaomiM
andy.pauline
7 posters

Go down

My wife just bought these at auction ....  Empty My wife just bought these at auction ....

Post by andy.pauline December 8th 2012, 12:18 am

My wife just bought these at auction ....  293-2010

I tried to explain by the time we pay commission and carriage there will be no profit on it ... The pot is mike dodds , tea pot is arabia and the dish is french studio??? What do you's lot think????
andy.pauline
andy.pauline

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2012-11-19

Back to top Go down

My wife just bought these at auction ....  Empty Re: My wife just bought these at auction ....

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 12:24 am

Good for her; a true potaholic. Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

My wife just bought these at auction ....  Empty Re: My wife just bought these at auction ....

Post by andy.pauline December 8th 2012, 1:33 am

dont encourage her we are trying to become more diserning .. selling all the troika and carlton ware money boxes and hopefully reinvesting in some pottery .. what would you suggest?? I was thinking wallwork... or janet leach... need to start selling though ....
andy.pauline
andy.pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle December 8th 2012, 2:43 am

I like Carlton ware money boxes Happy Love the tray
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2710
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by andy.pauline December 8th 2012, 7:50 am

Brin so do i but sometimes you have to move on.... Happy I think as i get older I am looking for a bit more sole in my surroundings... Thats why i love pottery ..
andy.pauline
andy.pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 8th 2012, 8:53 am

andy.pauline wrote:dont encourage her we are trying to become more diserning .. selling all the troika and carlton ware money boxes and hopefully reinvesting in some pottery .. what would you suggest?? I was thinking wallwork... or janet leach... need to start selling though ....

I think that the pieces that your wife bought look good together and really you should buy what you like and hope that it might be a good investment.

Alan Wallwork items are fetching money these days and there is a chance of overpaying if you are not sure of the market. On the other hand I think that Janet Leach's work is undervalued and, I know that it isn't everyones cup of tea, but if you like it then this is the time to buy.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed December 8th 2012, 11:32 am

I agree with Studio Pots , the pieces your wife bought are fine ( not what I would have bought but we all have different tastes ), if it's investment your after then buying established pieces is a bit like missing the boat so to speak , I am biased in that I like studio pieces , preferably british and I am am spoilt for choice as this country has some of the finest potters around imo, a good ceramic book might help you decide who /what ticks the boxes for you both then go for it , buy the best you can afford and enjoy them , some pieces might seem expensive but I think it's all relevant when we pay for things like a night out , meals , drinks etc .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11934
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty December 8th 2012, 12:14 pm

I agree with SP and ED regarding "investing" in pottery.

Don't ever buy pottery for investment just because others say it's a good investment, buy items you (or your wife!) personally like a lot. Investing in ceramics is fairly high risk, but if you chose something you really like, should the bottom fall out of the market, at least you are left with a pot you like.

Also as Ed mentions, try and do your homework a fair bit first, so that you can see some of the vast range of potters out there.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3668
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 1:32 pm

first and foremost always buy what you like. If oyu're buying for investment it's usually best to avoid what's hot at the moment because you'll lose money when it goes off the boil (eg Troika prices are now coming down). Always buy quality because prices will recover. And, last but not least, try to get it at wholesale rather than retail price.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 8th 2012, 1:33 pm

I agree 100%

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15458
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 8th 2012, 5:19 pm

NaomiM wrote: And, last but not least, try to get it at wholesale rather than retail price.

Give the lad a clue how he can do that.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 5:21 pm

studio-pots wrote:
NaomiM wrote: And, last but not least, try to get it at wholesale rather than retail price.

You brazenly ask for a discount. Embarrassed
And if you get to know the dealers or potters, personally, and buy from them regularly, they'll usually do you a discount.

Last edited by NaomiM on December 8th 2012, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 5:23 pm

Potty wrote:

Also as Ed mentions, try and do your homework a fair bit first, so that you can see some of the vast range of potters out there.

Always useful when you come across an item where the seller hasn't a clue what it is, but you do. You can get some great bargains that way.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 5:34 pm

Don't buy damaged items, (saying that, I do if it's very cheap, because I keep it as a reference piece).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle December 8th 2012, 6:02 pm

is the tray marked at all ??
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 8th 2012, 8:59 pm

NaomiM wrote:
studio-pots wrote:

And if you get to know the dealers or potters, personally, and buy from them regularly, they'll usually do you a discount.

That's fine but no need to be embarrassed. Your original suggestion appeared to imply you needed to buy in bulk. That works too and will get an even bigger discount................ without embarassment. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by andy.pauline December 8th 2012, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the comments... as for the troika i bought when it was at the top as well as the whitefriars.. 700 for a double base troika 1500 for a banjo vase .. so i know all about things going off the boil... been watching auction a lot ... trying to judge the market for alan wallwork... i think his work is amazing... obviously the bigger pieces are the most appealing... I have got lots of reference books my main interests have been 50s to 70s design.. brin i will tell you the markings when it arrives... thanks again...
andy.pauline
andy.pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle December 8th 2012, 10:47 pm

Thank you
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 10:52 pm

I think modern studio potters such as Alan Wallwork, Peter Beard, John Maltby, to name just 3 (and there are dozens more), are worth a punt. I'm seeing them in museums which will enhance their reputations in the long term. In 20 years or so they'll be considered the Lucie Ries and Hans Coopers of their generation.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 8th 2012, 11:01 pm

studio-pots wrote:
NaomiM wrote:
studio-pots wrote:

That's fine but no need to be embarrassed. Your original suggestion appeared to imply you needed to buy in bulk. That works too and will get an even bigger discount................ without embarassment. Cheeky

Ooh, what I wouldn't give for a roomful of Peter Beards bought wholesale. Let me just mortgage the house. Cheeky
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by andy.pauline December 9th 2012, 6:50 am

I have been collecting for years ... not just pottery any good design.It has just happened that several of my favourite pieces are pottery... So everything i have posted have been collected over years.. but time to clear out some things.... I know all about buying at the top of the market ... troika double base bonhams 700 .. banjo vase cinnamon.. 1500.... and brian Willsher when he was at the hight of his popularity.... i was fortunate to meet brian... I have many source books and done a lot of looking at different potters... when i first seen Wallworks work I loved it was he producing any where near the extent of troika??? The problem is yous southerners drive the market place so some great potteries like Drymen will de overlooked... they are some of my favourite pieces... But ther is a real lack of stuff here very thin on the ground... Brin i will post picture when it arrives...
andy.pauline
andy.pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 9th 2012, 8:30 am

Watching Antiques Road Trip they seem to get far more bargains, and make a lot more money, when they tour Scotland, compared to the South. Prices in the South are very high, but collectors aren't necessarily prepared to pay them. I know a number of antiques dealers who've given up in recent years. A lot of the ones I chat to at the fairs are fellow collectors, selling stuff they bought 10-20yrs ago, often for the same prices they bought them for, so they can put the money towards something else.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle December 9th 2012, 9:45 am

i'd agree with that Naomi
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum