Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces

3 posters

Go down

Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces Empty Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces

Post by mjron October 2nd 2012, 10:53 pm

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has an idea as to origin of this large vase/deep bowl? It is blown, with a hand polished bottom and has a pearlescent satin finish to the exterior. It fluoresces strongly under a black light. The glass is quite thick and the piece measures 8" in height, 9 1/4" across its top - it weighs 7 1/2 lbs. It is unmarked, but came from the estate of someone who was Finnish, so I'm thinking that it might be from that part of the world. Any guesses?
Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces Myster10
mjron
mjron

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces Empty Re: Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces

Post by JoFish October 15th 2012, 10:44 pm

I wonder if it is Italian?

The colour under UV is likey a result of the manganese used as a decolourant. Uranium gives a much brighter glow.

Is the base polished flat?

John
JoFish
JoFish

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces Empty Re: Need Help with ID of Large Blown Glass Vase that Fluoresces

Post by mjron October 16th 2012, 3:05 am

Yes, the bottom is polished. Actually, you can't tell from the photos, but the glass has a "verre de soie" finish, similar to Steuben glass, except the glass is really thick, so I kind of discounted Steuben. Did anyone else produce a verre de soie finish?

Ron
mjron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish October 16th 2012, 9:36 am

Verre de soie is a new term for me, we don't see very much American glass over here, at least that is my excuse!

I doubt there has ever been a successful technique that was not copied or adapted by competing glassworks, they are after all selling to the same market place.

Other than saying the form looks more Italian to me than Scandinavian I am in the dark about it. I have to keep reminding myself how large it is, a lovely looking piece of glass you have there.

John
JoFish
JoFish

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 16th 2012, 11:17 am

Beautiful vase. I doubt it's Scandinvian, but other than that I couldn't say. It could be Bohemian, French, Italian or American.
If we can't help you here then it's worth posting pictures on the glassmessages.com website and see if they can identify it.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by mjron October 16th 2012, 3:07 pm

Thanks Naomi,

I wasn't aware of that website. If I find anything out, I'll share it here

All the best,

Ron
mjron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum