Adam and Sons

5 posters

Go down

Adam and Sons  Empty Adam and Sons

Post by PooleandPaperweights May 26th 2012, 12:35 pm

Hi

posting on behalf of a friend.  He has what he calls a "large dinner service" in this pattern, and thinks they have 12 crates/boxes of it.  Waiting to get numbers of pieces etc, but can someone tie down the date and if it's worth nothing, or something, or lots and so on?

thanks
Ian

Adam and Sons  DSC_0124

Adam and Sons  DSC_0118

Adam and Sons  DSC_0115-1

Adam and Sons  DSC_0125
PooleandPaperweights
PooleandPaperweights

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-08-12

Back to top Go down

Adam and Sons  Empty Re: Adam and Sons

Post by Potty May 26th 2012, 1:14 pm

Looking at "the book" the mark seems to suggest 1819-64, I'd think it has to be from the latter part of this. Initially I was thinking around 1880 when i first saw it.

So assuming the book is correct I'd personally think it's C.1860

As a large service it will have some value I'm sure, best to take it to a local auction for a valuation/to possibly sell it. I'd expect it to be put in one of there General Antique sale if you were to sell it.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PooleandPaperweights May 26th 2012, 1:20 pm

My friend really wants to know if its worth selling, as I think it is a family heirloom sort of thing. Also, taking 12 crates to an auction house isn't taht easy, especially when half of it is in Ireland!

The trouble with "local" auction houses I find is that they won't know what its worth and will just stick an £80 to £120 estimate on it. I always laugh when cash in the attic congratulate themselves for estimating something at £80 to £120 then it sells for £500. So was rather hoping for a well informed opinion on here!!!

thanks
Ian
PooleandPaperweights
PooleandPaperweights

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 26th 2012, 1:21 pm

Would also expect there to be a hand painted number on some of the items, this is will be the pattern number.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty May 26th 2012, 1:24 pm

PooleandPaperweights wrote: So was rather hoping for a well informed opinion on here!!!

This is a 20th century forum Shrugs

Assuming you go to a good provincial auction, you should get a fair idea of value, but it depends greatly on who wants it on the day.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by PooleandPaperweights May 26th 2012, 1:26 pm

Yeah good point, didnt know is was 1800's though :)
PooleandPaperweights
PooleandPaperweights

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 26th 2012, 4:31 pm

Those sorts of dinner services are out of fashion and difficult to sell unless it has the added kudos of being by one of the big names such as Copeland Spode or Wedgwood.
I could see it selling for £80-£120 in one of the provincial auction houses. Your best bet is to list it on ebay and hope it sells for big bucks to an American - this sort of thing sells well over there.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31598
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 27th 2012, 12:03 am

NaomiM wrote:Those sorts of dinner services are out of fashion and difficult to sell unless it has the added kudos of being by one of the big names such as Copeland Spode or Wedgwood.
I could see it selling for £80-£120 in one of the provincial auction houses. Your best bet is to list it on ebay and hope it sells for big bucks to an American - this sort of thing sells well over there.

I think you are right about it being difficult to sell and the price you suggest is what you might reasonably hope for. I wouldn't be over keen to pack all that lot to post to the States either.

Best to use it or give it to another family member who would.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 27th 2012, 8:00 am

PooleandPaperweights wrote:

The trouble with "local" auction houses I find is that they won't know what its worth and will just stick an £80 to £120 estimate on it. I always laugh when cash in the attic congratulate themselves for estimating something at £80 to £120 then it sells for £500. So was rather hoping for a well informed opinion on here!!!

I think that this is the sort of thing that could happen with a lot like this. 20 years or so ago you could have almost guaranteed that it would sell and had a good idea of the price. In those days it was commercial and 9 out of 10 times it would have sold for considerably more than it would today. Today if there were two private buyers at an auction who wanted it for themselves them it would fetch the price it deserves, otherwise it would stuggle to sell.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 27th 2012, 11:38 am

I once sold a load of my mother's stuff at a local auction house, and it all went for 10% less than the reserve (apparently that's classed as the 'auctioneer's discretion'). I suspect there was a cartel of dealers buying stuff cheap and then divvying it up amongst themselves.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31598
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ajoah May 30th 2012, 4:09 am

This probably adds nothing to the discussion but I think it's absolutely criminal that something as old and beautiful as this could sell for as little as 80 pounds. Pehaps if you stuck a Made in China sweatshop for 10 cents label on it and put an "I" in front of its name it may go for thousands.
:End of grumpy rant.
Ajoah
Ajoah

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum