J.L Auld !, anyone come across this artist !.

+4
studio-pots
tenpot
Davee
keramark
8 posters

Go down

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Empty J.L Auld !, anyone come across this artist !.

Post by keramark April 12th 2012, 1:18 pm

Came across this watercolour of St Marys which i think captures the mood quite well, but have not came across the artist !, any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Alan.

[img]J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. J_auld10[/img]

[img]J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. J_auld11[/img]

[img]J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. J_auld12[/img]

keramark
keramark

Male Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Back to top Go down

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Empty Re: J.L Auld !, anyone come across this artist !.

Post by Davee April 12th 2012, 1:34 pm

Sorry can't say i've heard of the artist, its strange that its been signed twice in completely different styles. I'm not questioning your judgement, but is it definately an original and not a print?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Empty Re: J.L Auld !, anyone come across this artist !.

Post by keramark April 12th 2012, 1:43 pm

Hi Davee, strange as it may seem but it's deffo a watercolour, i thought the same as you when i bought it. I actually thought the gold signature was on top of the glass, couldn't get an explanation out of the seller either !!!... Shrugs
keramark
keramark

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot April 12th 2012, 4:09 pm

you dont normally have white paint with watercolour you have to leave the paper white or use a masking technique this seems to have white paint on top of darker colours like oil paint
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by keramark April 12th 2012, 6:47 pm

I agree, it does look like an Oil from a distance, but it's deffo a water, that's why i bought it.
And also i took a closer look and the Gold signature is on the inside of the glass !!!, now that has got me puzzled as it must have been written backwards !!!. I give up. . . Shrugs
keramark
keramark

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 12th 2012, 8:49 pm

I have found reference to a John Leslie Auld, who was an art teacher and designer-craftsman goldsmith. I believe he came from N. Ireland and taught at Glasgow School of Art until he retired in 1979. Born in 1914, he trained at Belfast College of Art and then the RCA in London in the 1930s.

I know this is a painting rather than his speciality but often artistic people return to or take up watercolour painting in later life.

It does also say in the reference I found that he signed his work " J. L. AULD".

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed April 12th 2012, 9:05 pm

tenpot wrote:you dont normally have white paint with watercolour you have to leave the paper white or use a masking technique this seems to have white paint on top of darker colours like oil paint
Probably Chinese White or Gouache
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by keramark April 12th 2012, 10:34 pm

studio-pots wrote:I have found reference to a John Leslie Auld, who was an art teacher and designer-craftsman goldsmith. I believe he came from N. Ireland and taught at Glasgow School of Art until he retired in 1979. Born in 1914, he trained at Belfast College of Art and then the RCA in London in the 1930s.

I know this is a painting rather than his speciality but often artistic people return to or take up watercolour painting in later life.

It does also say in the reference I found that he signed his work " J. L. AULD".

Thank you for that SP, THAT'S MADE MY DAY ... Most Excellent
keramark
keramark

Back to top Go down

Post by little liz May 6th 2012, 11:06 am

Hi, ive had a painting hanging on my wall for years of Backworth Village dated 1900, by J L AULD. I know nothing about paintings, so just out of curiosity i googled this artist. The painting is of the old village with children standing next to the Duck Pond. I was wondering if there was any more of these paintings around. Thanks. Liz
little liz
little liz

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by little liz May 10th 2012, 3:40 pm

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Img-2012

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Img-2013

theres a few pics of it, thanks Liz
little liz
little liz

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed May 10th 2012, 5:46 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4080139627/

this is the scene
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Empty painting j.l.auld

Post by thatsmyname November 21st 2012, 8:00 pm

little liz wrote:J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Img-2012

J.L Auld !,  anyone come across this artist !. Img-2013

theres a few pics of it, thanks Liz
i have a oil painting very much like this one but theres just a few things missing
thatsmyname
thatsmyname

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman November 21st 2012, 8:14 pm

the original?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum