Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration?

2 posters

Go down

Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Empty Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration?

Post by NicolaP February 22nd 2012, 7:24 am

I bought this vase 20 years ago from some dodgy trader in Lancs who said it was Royal Dux. I bought it for the look as we were into arts and crafts so it didnt concern me what it was. Now we have moved to a new glass house and need to down size consequently I have been looking at what we have. This is something of a mystery. It looks like a genuine art nouveau piece, definitely aged, worn gilding from handling, very dirty and a very old fine hairline.

The pictures dont show it properly but it bears the impressed amphora mark from the Bohemian Reissner? factory that dates from circa 1912? However it also bears the Mosanic mark of the 3 rifles dating from around this time. Both these factories did work in Bohemia for Max Emmanuel a London store operating at that time. So at a guess I'd say it was some kind of collaboration piece maybe for Max Emmanuel however what is odd about it, is that it bears the words Manufactured in Austria which strikes me as a very mid 20C thing to do. Its a large vase, handpainted and embellished with a basket weave effect gilding.

Any info gratefully received. If you know what it is or any of the marks that would be great.

Nicola.

Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Art_no12
Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Art_no13
Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Art_no14
Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Art_no15
Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Art_no16
NicolaP
NicolaP

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-02-14

Back to top Go down

Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration? Empty Re: Austrian Mystery Vase - Is it a fake or a collaboration?

Post by NaomiM May 16th 2012, 8:41 pm

I think it's a collaboration - I have something similar (which I would post a pic of, but I appear to have mislaid it): A French plate/dish with a rustic decoration of fruit. That also has the three rifles mark on the back which I believe was for the retailer who imported it into the UK.
Any other mark would be the manufacturer.
I would date mine c.1910-20.

Other retailers did it back then, eg, Mappin & Webb, Liberty's, etc. And several still do, eg, Habitat.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum