+2
NaomiM
dantheman
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

clarice cliff fakes - Page 2 Empty Re: clarice cliff fakes

Post by Potty August 2nd 2016, 12:50 pm

I'm not convinced Naomi's is a fake, why would a Clarice Cliff faker make something that is already iffy (i.e. unusual)? Also as this glaze is used by Wilkinson on their other pieces, it makes some sort of sense to me atleast?

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 2nd 2016, 1:15 pm

It's not something I could be fussed to argue over. If I hadn't removed it it would have been reported to eBay as selling counterfeit goods, and if Clarice Cliff collectors don't want it then there's not much chance of it selling. Lose lose. Didn't cost me much and it's the charity shop's win.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 2nd 2016, 1:32 pm

Although if I was to argue the toss I'd have said it was a genuine 30s piece reglazed for the American market

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 2nd 2016, 3:42 pm

NaomiM wrote:Although if I was to argue the toss I'd have said it was a genuine 30s piece reglazed for the American market

I think that seems more logical than it being a fake to be honest.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep August 2nd 2016, 11:44 pm

After making over 7 million items I am sure the world has enough Clarice cliff but when money is involved out come the copies.

To be honest most ceramic fakes are pretty easy to spot and restricted to a small group of big names. But anyone can be caught out. My father bought what I am certain is a Moorcroft fake a month back. I approached the guys stall a couple of weeks later to see another example of what my father had bought. I sent my father back to question the man and his answer was no its not new, it was a pair and he had just found the other one. Of course when the third one turned up in auction two days later I was able to convince my father he had thrown away £130 and been conned.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep August 2nd 2016, 11:53 pm

NaomiM wrote:Although if I was to argue the toss I'd have said it was a genuine 30s piece reglazed for the American market

These factories did not throw away anything and reused old blanks and designs as and when they could.

I have an 1880's Linthorpe Peruvian designed vase by Christopher Dresser that has some how made its way to Torquay. Then to the Lemon and Crute company who added a whole load of painted flowers and stamped it some time in the 1920's. Of course I know it is simply the mold that got sold on and they made there own version. But nothing was sacred back then. Old dusty Clarice vase, lets add a new glaze and sell it.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum