Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery?

3 posters

Go down

Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Empty Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery?

Post by Guest August 4th 2010, 11:04 pm

Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Image326
Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Image325

hi, this lion to me looks very similar to the common poole pottery animals, however i cannot find a lion that looks like this one also the base appears very different to the norm, this piece has some crazing to the glaze
maybe it is a piece trying to be poole pottery or maybe this is a piece from poole pottery,
i would appreciate your thoughts on this one.

ps, i have now cracked the imaging service Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? 626982 Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? 175374

thanks
rob s

Back to top Go down

Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Empty Re: Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery?

Post by truk10 August 5th 2010, 2:42 pm

Hi Rob

Poole didn't produce a Lion in this range and the blue animals they did weren't "hollow" like this one - ie., that have a base with a hole in it allow air out when firing. Finally, it's rare to have a poole piece without a stamp. So put that together and you can be pretty certain that this isn't Poole (although I have no idea who do produce it).
truk10
truk10

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Empty Re: Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery?

Post by dantheman August 5th 2010, 2:48 pm

wade?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15425
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 5th 2010, 4:42 pm

hi dan, hear what you're saying i searched through poole sites and found only 1 lion standing which was a trial piece, understand about the base, the pics i have taken are done with a flash so not very clear when viewing the material i.e pottery, also in the past i did have afghan hound produced by poole which did have this style base and marked poole (not blue though), definatly not wade different material i.e pottery, also i have common blue poole dolphin and am sure this is same pottery material used as this lion has, but does have a different base like you say with firing hole, i will take another pic using natural light of the material used on this lion, it is in my opinion very much the same as poole pottery, just like to add that this was very dirty when i bought it and does have crazing to the glaze whch would suggest a little age, maybe someone has been very cunning in the past and tryed to replicate poole pottery even down to the materials used?

Thanks

rob s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 5th 2010, 5:06 pm

Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Image327
Probably them clever chinese Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? 757705

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 August 5th 2010, 11:06 pm

Hi Rob

Here's a link to all the blue animals that Poole made - even the trials.
http://www.animallblues.co.uk/blue-glaze-guide.htm

And all the stoneware animals
http://www.animallblues.co.uk/stoneware_guide.htm
truk10
truk10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 5th 2010, 11:33 pm

hi truk, im looking at a blue lion now standing model from the poole pottery collectors club, im not saying the lion i have is definetly poole but they did produce a lion standing in blue, not great with comps dont know how to link this page but if you search poole pottery lion in google, then go on poole pottery collectors club site then in the search facility in there type (Lion) you will see this on the 2nd shelf up (a lion in blue) directly above a jaguar also in blue

rob s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 6th 2010, 12:10 am

truk10 wrote:Hi Rob

Here's a link to all the blue animals that Poole made - even the trials.
http://www.animallblues.co.uk/blue-glaze-guide.htm

And all the stoneware animals
[url=http://www.animallblues.co.uk/stoneware_guide.htm
http://www.animallblues.co.uk/stoneware_guide.htm[/quote[/url]]

I would suggest that someone should update animallblues as clearly this does not show all animals in blue produced by Poole Pottery.

rob s.

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 August 6th 2010, 11:03 am

Ah, i know the ones you are talking about. Those trial pieces were, and I hope I get this right, done by at Poolezone . They were an attempt by Roger Hartley (he also runs the animalblues website) at a joint venture between Poolezone and Poole to keep the animal series (and Poole) alive. They never made it into production and there is a bit of a debate as to whether they should be classified as Poole items as the were produced outside the company under contract rather than inhouse by Poole.

To get an answer as to whether this is one of the trail pieces he produced, send Roger an email.
truk10
truk10

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 6th 2010, 4:32 pm

I already did

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 6th 2010, 8:39 pm

Hi truk,

thanks for this info on poolezone, in all honesty Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Icon_eek i have never heard of this before but im always learning thanks to you people here and give credit where credits due your obviously very knowledgeable on this subject so thanks for putting me right here, my apologies for any doubt i had with the info you supplied, i kind of feel abit Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? 606768 now.

thanks again truk and dan,

rob s

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 August 7th 2010, 8:32 am

Hi Rob

Not a problem at all - still got to try and figure out who did produce it.

Kurt
truk10
truk10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 7th 2010, 3:31 pm

Hi Truk,

Could it be possible that this may be chinese copying the style of poole, i don't know if they did this sort of thing, although they do try make decorative glass in similar style to that produced by other glass makers, just a thought.

rob s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 23rd 2010, 2:40 pm

I'm now thinking Dartmouth pottery is the maker of this lion after finding a lidded pot with the Dartmouth mark in the same colour.

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 7th 2013, 2:43 pm

Anglian pottery, they used sticky labels but not sticky enough in this case

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Blue pottery Lion maybe this is poole pottery? Empty Blue Lion

Post by NaomiM September 8th 2013, 4:02 pm

The photos are a bit too blurred to tell, but looks a bit too blue for Anglian Pottery, (which is a relatively thin greenish-blue glaze over a soft white earthenware body). Also, all the ones I've seen have an A.P. and number inscribed on the underside.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 8th 2013, 4:29 pm

rob s wrote:I'm now thinking Dartmouth pottery is the maker of this lion after finding a lidded pot with the Dartmouth mark in the same colour.
Very possible. It's the sort of traditional shape that tended to be copied by Devon potteries such as Dartmouth.
Anglian Pottery was far more original in their designs (even if their pots did tend to look Art Deco period).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 8th 2013, 7:41 pm

Seen a few more Anglian Pottery animals and they have a hole in the glaze covered base rather than no base, which is another reason why I doubt this is AP.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum