Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who?

4 posters

Go down

Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? Empty Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who?

Post by 20th-centuryboy June 9th 2010, 9:52 pm

I bought this at a carboot sale last year and have still never worked out what it is? When I bought it I thought it may be a Frank Thrower design but I don't think they ever made anything this colour at Dartington. It could be modern but it was another of those pieces that when you picked it up I just had that feeling it was something?? Any help greatly appreciated.

Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? Pink_s10
Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? Pink_b10
20th-centuryboy
20th-centuryboy

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? Empty Re: Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who?

Post by flying free June 11th 2010, 8:00 pm

Have you looked on Designlasi, to see if it might be from Finland? Not sure about that colour though but I dont' know enough to know to be honest. Does it change colour under different light sources, i.e long life bulb or fluorescent, to daylight? Looks a bit neodymium colourish.
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? Empty Re: Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who?

Post by 20th-centuryboy June 11th 2010, 10:28 pm

Woooah! Neodynnium? - hold the magic mushrooms a mo? I'll have to check this out! I'll get back to you once I've exposed it to different light temperatures. Agree it does have a Scandinavian vibe though?
20th-centuryboy
20th-centuryboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fianelly June 12th 2010, 3:21 am

Hi - looks to me like Oiva Toikka's "FLORA" design which has been made by Nuutajarvi, iittala and Arabia variously over time. Has also been copied widely in SE Asia. Can't comment on the colour though...

Fi
fianelly
fianelly

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2010-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 20th-centuryboy June 12th 2010, 2:40 pm

Hi Fi - Yes def right style pattern although I think this one may be a far-eastern copy as the rim is polished and the pattern of the base is not the same as other examples. No sign of anything in this colour either?
20th-centuryboy
20th-centuryboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fianelly July 8th 2010, 12:44 am

Me again... I knew that the bowls were copied for sure, but now I have proof on the jug/glasses as well

Sad

Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? P7040010
Dartington - Frank Thrower style, but by who? P7040011

Ingrid Glass Thailand... bought these to keep as a reference.

Fi
fianelly
fianelly

Back to top Go down

Post by fianelly July 19th 2010, 11:21 am

hi - thought you may be interested to look at this; apparent evidence of the "pink" or "mauve" with actual Nuutajarvi labels!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220632829509&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

(Hope this doesn't contravene site policy. I waited until the listing ended!)

Cheers
Fi
fianelly
fianelly

Back to top Go down

Post by 20th-centuryboy July 19th 2010, 11:34 am

Hmmm, maybe my bowl isn't a copy after all as it is exactly the same colour! (see pics at top of this thread)
20th-centuryboy
20th-centuryboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fianelly July 19th 2010, 12:39 pm

yes :) My thought exactly!

Fi
fianelly
fianelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Christine July 28th 2010, 12:37 pm

Looks like neodymium glass to me
Christine
Christine

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-02-03

http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 20th-centuryboy August 25th 2010, 4:47 pm

Found a couple of very similar bowls on the US Ebay site for sale and they describe the glass as being Alexandrite? The changes colour from a mauve to pink depending on light temperature etc.
20th-centuryboy
20th-centuryboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Christine August 27th 2010, 10:48 am

Salts of neodymium are used to colour this glass and give it its colour-change properties. Alexandrite is just one of the colour names used. The colour change should be pink/mauve (incandescent) to blue/green (fluorescent).
Christine
Christine

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-02-03

http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum