Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany

5 posters

Go down

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Empty Porcelain, W mark - Peter Guggenbühler (not Karin Wittmann), Germany

Post by Birky November 16th 2023, 11:50 pm

Picked these up at a car boot sale yesterday.

Porcelain I think. Both clearly backstamped. One has a Foil label, Tegelaers, who I believe was a high end retailer of Porcelain, other ceramics and crystal.

I have seen other labels with just Porzellan Tegelaers on them.

Although most of the images show European ceramics, some may have come from farther afield.

If any one could identify the marks I would be grateful.

Other suggestions re origin etc would be welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Img20266
Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Img20265
Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Img20267
Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Img20268
Birky
Birky

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2020-11-01

Back to top Go down

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Empty Re: Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany

Post by denbydump November 17th 2023, 12:24 am

They look very Scandinavian, but not a mark I've seen before.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7219
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Empty Re: Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany

Post by Birky November 17th 2023, 12:34 am

I came across a few scandinavian pieces amongst those images of items with the Tegelaers label so that is a possibility.
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 17th 2023, 8:44 am

I bought a few side plates with that amrk many years ago in a London flea market. They are extremely well made, and obviously made by a very good potter. But, sadly after many years of looking I have never been able to idenify the mark. Which is very frustrating. because they are so well made
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6402
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan November 17th 2023, 4:21 pm

Although, looking at the rest of the label.
Porzellan, is German.
Geschenke, is German for Gift or Present.
Monchengladbach, is in Germany.
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Male Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan November 17th 2023, 9:37 pm

Seen one other label and it does look like that is a retailer, as different marks on the actual items.

Last edited by Celtic_Fan on November 18th 2023, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birky November 18th 2023, 12:58 am

Yes, I did the translations and came to the conclusion it was a retailer rather than a producer. I've seen 5 or 6 pieces with the labels, all different marks or styles. Some of the labels only state Porzellan (Porcelain), I'm guessing that at some point, probably later, they added Crystal (Kristall) to their range. From what I have researched Tegelaers were in business from the late 1950s until 2014 when the proprieter passed away, so no chance of gaining any information from the retailer.

Shame because they are fabulous quality pieces.

Somebody, somewher will know who the maker was!
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Post by Birky November 18th 2023, 1:01 am

I should add that the other pieces I have seen with the Tegelaers label are from other countries in Europe, not Germany. Chances are that these items were imported into Germany from elsewhere.
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB November 19th 2023, 4:58 pm

the potter is Karin Wittmann from Germany
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2022-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Birky November 19th 2023, 10:40 pm

Thank you. I have also just identified it as Karin Wittman thanks to the German Keramik Sammler DE link posted on here earlier today. Thank you for your help.
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic_Fan November 19th 2023, 10:49 pm

Just to add that it was PhilosophiaSB's ID here, which led me to find the Sammler site (several hours later).
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birky November 19th 2023, 11:55 pm

Now we have the question - does anyone know anything about Karin? I have drawn a blank so far other than tracking down a few exhibitions in Germany, at museums and galleries, all around 2000 to 2002.
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Empty Peter Guggenbuhle not Karin Wittmann

Post by Birky February 26th 2024, 9:46 pm

It transpires that the attribution of these pieces to Karin Wittman is incorrect.

They were in fact made by Peter Guggenbuhle.

This is the information I have received from Germany:

"I'm sorry and I know that this error is being spread on the internet, but these ceramics are not made by the ceramist Karin Wittmann and her only mark looks different.
These things were made by Peter Guggenbühler who worked in Altenkunstadt in Germany - he named his workshop 'Die Werkstatt' (The Workshop) - that's why his mark was W. Attached you'll find pictures of his works with an additional paper label with the full name and adress. The last picture shows the only mark that was used by Karin Wittmann - also an W but obviously different. One other important difference between Wittmann and Guggenbühler: His vases are cast porcelain - Karin Wittmann never ever had cast anything..."
Greetings from Germany!

Here are some ebay-offerings with the correct attribution:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/113727635743
https://www.ebay.de/itm/335267271002
https://www.ebay.de/itm/175716517722
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Empty Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany

Post by Birky February 26th 2024, 10:16 pm

Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Img20279
Peter Guggenbühler, Altenkunstadt, Germany  Img20280

These pieces were incorrectly attributed to Karin Wittmann in response to one of my posts in November last year. I'm not sure how to correct this so I have posted as a new thread, hopefully someone can put this in the right context.

I have just received the following information from Germany:

"I'm sorry and I know that this error is being spread on the internet, but these ceramics are not made by the ceramist Karin Wittmann and her only mark looks different.
These things were made by Peter Guggenbühler who worked in Altenkunstadt in Germany - he named his workshop 'Die Werkstatt' (The Workshop) - that's why his mark was W. Attached you'll find pictures of his works with an additional paper label with the full name and adress. The last picture shows the only mark that was used by Karin Wittmann - also an W but obviously different. One other important difference between Wittmann and Guggenbühler: His vases are cast porcelain - Karin Wittmann never ever had cast anything..."

I am unable to reproduce the pictures I was sent but I believe they were copies of images on ebay listings, some of which I was sent links to below:

Here are some ebay-offerings with the correct attribution:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/113727635743
https://www.ebay.de/itm/335267271002
https://www.ebay.de/itm/175716517722
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum