Help with the whos whos in identifying glass

4 posters

Go down

Help with the whos whos in identifying glass Empty Help with the whos whos in identifying glass

Post by TWB February 26th 2023, 3:17 pm

Hi, All

I was wondering if anyone knows of any courses or one on one sessions on how to identify the whos who on hand made glass. I've got the basics on finding hand made yet lack the knowledge when it comes with no signitures or is a unusal peice. Is there some go to books recommended if so can anyone help or make suggestions

Thanks guys

Emma TWB
TWB
TWB

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2023-02-10

Back to top Go down

Help with the whos whos in identifying glass Empty Re: Help with the whos whos in identifying glass

Post by denbydump February 26th 2023, 3:19 pm

I'll move this to General Glass discussion, a more approriate section.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7225
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Help with the whos whos in identifying glass Empty Re: Help with the whos whos in identifying glass

Post by TWB February 26th 2023, 4:06 pm

Thank you and sorry
TWB
TWB

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 26th 2023, 4:07 pm

I don’t think there are any courses. Best to visit Glass fairs and handle the labelled pieces. There used to be one at Birmingham but it’s now cancelled.
This is a useful website
https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=275

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31533
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by TWB February 26th 2023, 4:39 pm

Thank you, I've used that one loads and I've been to a few fairs so I'm good at some. Does anyone else fear putting a "I'm confident its .... " so scared of being incorrect that I talk myself out of it.
TWB
TWB

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 26th 2023, 9:38 pm

I have several levels of confidence in IDs.
There’s the straight “By….” when I’m 100% sure because I’ve got a labelled piece or other proof.
Then there’s the “I believe it’s…” because I’m fairly confident but it’s just my opinion and someone might believe otherwise.
Then there’s the “I think it’s….” but I have some doubts
And then there’s the “Maybe, possibly, it’s….” Or “It’s in the style of…” because I’ve got a gut feeling or it looks similar to something from that region or company
And then there’s the “It’s a longshot…..”
I expect people to do their own research and not just accept my word for it.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31533
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by chasdevlin March 13th 2023, 5:39 pm

I developed a passion for glass, purely from finding a piece in a charity shop and wanting to find out more about it, and decided to go into it. I was pretty clueless at first, but I kept reading and researching and eventually developed a pretty good eye (I reckon it took me a couple of years to reach a decent level of knowledge).
So read and research and always look, maintain databases, handle glass etc. Basically what's been said. Join facebook groups dedicated to different glass.
I think I learnt the most by frequently reading old posts on the glassmessages board..something I still do, there's a lot of knowledge there from collectors and dealers alike. The vast majority of glass you come across will be unmarked and unlabelled, so you need to get accustomed to identifying glass without these obvious signifiers.
Good luck!
chasdevlin
chasdevlin

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2016-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum