Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion

3 posters

Go down

Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion Empty Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion

Post by TWB February 16th 2023, 7:05 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, I came across it in a charity shop and its some up lovely with a handwash.

I believe it to be a cushion and I have stuffed it and its gorgeous.

Its some kind of folk art design, and its all handmade, it looks to be loomwork using natural fibres.... wool

Any help would be great as I cant even guess where this may have come from.

Thank you

Emma

Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion 20230217
Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion 20230218
Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion 20230216
TWB
TWB

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2023-02-10

Back to top Go down

Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion Empty Re: Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion

Post by paveybe May 8th 2023, 7:51 am

This is very interesting, please could you show us the reverse of the fabric?
paveybe
paveybe

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2017-02-04

Back to top Go down

Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion Empty Re: Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion

Post by TWB May 9th 2023, 8:06 pm

Hi,

I've made it into a cushion so I can no longer see the back, however I can tell you that its exactly the same as the front only not as tidy.

I have taken some close ups and if you need me to unpick it I can.

Thanks lovely

Emma TWB

Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion 20230510
Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion 20230511
Help Please - handmade loomwork - cushion 20230512

TWB
TWB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB May 10th 2023, 1:02 pm

i would say it is an algerian carpet
https://co.pinterest.com/pin/24277285503184019/
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2022-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by paveybe May 15th 2023, 8:58 pm

Yes I am sure you are right PhilosophiaSB, following your lead there are other examples of the style on line. TWB it seems this piece would be woven in the kelim technique, which means that between every colour change there should be a tiny slit, not noticeable in the closely beaten weft, and it would indeed be the same on each side, because the yarn colour was actually changed at that point, not just dropped to the back. The use of diagonals means that the little slit is anchored by the next row, so it does not compromise the structure of the piece, and is perhaps covered by the soft-looking weft yarn bouncing up. TWB did you add the plaited edges and tassels yourself? And how big is your finished cushion? It makes a nice use of the textile.
paveybe
paveybe

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2017-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by TWB May 15th 2023, 10:44 pm

Hi,
Oh wow that's fab it's so pretty and I love anything handmade so I'm really pleased I can now put a name to its design. I didn't add the plaits they came as is. They are the same colour as the rest of the weave.

The cushion is about 25cms by 40cm and its displayed on a rocking chair. I LOVE IT ❤

Thank you so much

Emma TWB

TWB
TWB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum