John Ward book

4 posters

Go down

John Ward book Empty John Ward book

Post by croker November 1st 2022, 4:37 pm

A book has recently been published on the pottery of John Ward by Emma Crichton-Miller, the book is hardbound and fully illustrated, i believe this is the first book assisted by a new venture called the Maak foundation which has been created to enable would be authors of books on some aspect of studio pottery to research and get into print, full details can be found on the Maak website, The book retails at around £30.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

John Ward book Empty Re: John Ward book

Post by philpot November 2nd 2022, 10:08 am

Cheapest is on Ebay at £27.69 post free.
It is a very interesting book. The writing style is a bit colloquial, and one perhaps would liked to have a deeper critique of his work. But that is being nit picking. As a guide and overall survey of his career it is a very good and satisfying read. Throws much light on a terrific potter who very little has been written about that is easily accessible.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6398
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 2nd 2022, 10:32 am

The interesting question would be, what other potters need to such a book written about them. Given that a lot of important potters have now got books on them.
         Alan Wallwork, Peter Hayes, Ewen Henderson Jennnifer Lee. How many more?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 2nd 2022, 10:44 am

Apparently David Sharp was a colourful character. He’d make an interesting subject for a book

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31494
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 2nd 2022, 11:20 am

I agree a number of books have been printed on certain high- profile potters but a think there is room to dig a bit deeper. In the art world, even many minor modern artists have in depth volumes about their working methods, lives and influences, i think if this Maak foundation enterprise works it can only benefit the world of studio pottery as a whole. My ideal choice for a book would be for Gillian lowndes.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman November 2nd 2022, 11:25 am

Guy Sydenham had 2 books written about his life and his career.
Buying an old navy gunboat to live on with his wife and son, then moving to an island off Dorset with just the 3 of them to make a home, build a studio and kilns, dig his own clay, etc...
A great story, even if you don't like pottery.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 2nd 2022, 12:54 pm

croker wrote:I agree a number of books have been printed on certain high- profile potters but a think there is room to dig a bit deeper. In the art world, even many minor modern artists have in depth volumes about their working methods, lives and influences, i think if this Maak foundation enterprise works it can only benefit the world of studio pottery as a whole. My ideal choice for a book would be for Gillian lowndes.

I presume you have this one Croker.
http://ruthincraftcentre.org.uk/exhibitions/gillian-lowndes-2/

It is an excellent 124 page paperback written by Amanda Fielding. It is really an excellent book with many illustrations and discusion of her pottery. As a critical work it is much better than the Ward book. I have a copy in front of me now.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 2nd 2022, 1:41 pm

This book is the main reason for my suggested choice regarding a new publication, it has now become almost impossible to obtain a copy, i don't know how many copies were printed but it couldn't have been many. Did you see the piece of hers at Cheffins earlier this year, i underbid it but regret not buying it now .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 2nd 2022, 2:14 pm

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=L6U3S.zk,klx7X,.cvTP9sfonbs_1667398382_1:3:4&bq=author%3Damanda%2520fielding%26title%3Dgillian%2520lowndes

It is available. But very expensive!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 2nd 2022, 2:37 pm

This the main reason i would like to see a new book on Gillian Lowndes published, the prices some sellers are asking are quite ridiculous in my view .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 2nd 2022, 3:38 pm

Capitalism in the Raw as they say. On the same site there is copy of the Yew Tree John Maltby book at £100.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 2nd 2022, 4:37 pm

It's a niche subject and probably had a short print run. Unless it makes it into paperback the price will stay high. Although several sites selling the John Ward book at around £30 which is reasonable

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31494
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 4th 2022, 8:07 am

I see Maak are having an evening  in London with a discussion panel on John Ward and a selected selection of his works on show. You have got to admire the promoting of the market for John Ward.
            Although made a large number of his pots in rural Wales, vh work has always struck me as having an urban aesthetic. As opposed to the Leach tradition.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 4th 2022, 10:40 am

Morning Philpot, I had thought about going to the evening talk but unable to at the present time. I find his work fits in well with modern interiors whereas Leach type pots always look a bit folksy. I have always thought Ward has taken more onboard from Coper than he cares to admit. I have slowed up buying Ward pots at the moment and i am concentrating more on Henderson.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 12th 2022, 9:39 am

I see on Amazon that there is going to be a new Catalogue of the V&A studio ceramics collection in April 2023 from Thames & Hudson. The illustration of the book on Amazon has a picture of a Black and White John Ward on the front cover.
About time there was a new book on collection tho. The last was over 30 years ago!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 12th 2022, 2:18 pm

As you say long overdue and hopefully it will be a totally new book rather than just a reprint with a few more photos added and a supplement at the back Happy
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum