PATRICIA VOLK

4 posters

Go down

PATRICIA VOLK Empty PATRICIA VOLK

Post by philpot August 12th 2022, 10:21 am

PATRICIA VOLK Img_0835
PATRICIA VOLK Img_0834PATRICIA VOLK Img_0836

SEED POD 50 cms long. Now this is one for the purists again!
She describes herself on her webpage as a Sculptor, and indeed, she is a fellow of the Royal Society of Sculptors.
https://www.patriciavolk.org/
Yet this one is definitely ceramics, fired clay in all its glory.
In his recent 2021 Book Cotemporary British Ceramics Ashley Thorpe includes an article on Patrcia Volk. The book puts her in the company of Richard Slee, Sara Radstone,Jennifer Lee, Henry Pim and Carol McNicoll amongst others.
She is an interesting practitioner, as you can see from her website. Equally a medium is only a medium. and if anything has been learnt from Modern Art, is that Art takes many forms.
We have had this one for 8 years. But have had it stored in the 'overflow' ie The Garage! for near 3 years. We have had a bit of a summer redesign of our display, and this one came out. I had almost forgotten just how much I liked it
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6434
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

PATRICIA VOLK Empty Re: PATRICIA VOLK

Post by croker August 12th 2022, 10:45 pm

hi Philpot, That's a piece that deserves more than being stored in a garage, Happy i am familiar with her work, she had pieces in the 'New Craftsman gallery'' some years ago ,i think they sold well. I find it hard to place her in any category other than that of a sculptor even though she uses clay as her main medium. There is a video out there showing her working methods, unfortunately i don't have a link.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 676
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Volk August 14th 2022, 9:09 am

Agree with Croker completely, definitely why should using a material, ie clay categorise my work. So sorry to read it’s been kept in the Garage & almost forgotten. The video is on my website.
Patricia Volk
Patricia Volk

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 14th 2022, 11:35 am

We Collectors are a funny lot Laughter There are Japanese collectors who just have one or two pieces on display, with everything else tucked away in storage. I had a John Maltby in the attic for a number of years, purely because they was nowhere to display it at its best, and it was safe up there until I bought a new display case. It’s on display now. My favourite pieces are by Pauline Barnden but they’ve never been on display. Just knowing I have them is enough

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31572
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 17th 2022, 6:20 am

We downsized! This particular piece needs a large, and on quite a small base. It needs a fair amount of flat, safe unencumbered space to display it. Which we did not have until we got those low Japanese like Tables. Hence it was stored for a fair time. It is a lovely piece though, and we treasure it.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6434
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum