Simon Connolly

3 posters

Go down

Simon Connolly Empty Simon Connolly

Post by philpot Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:18 pm

Simon Connolly is a sculptor based in Shropshire, But often the worlds of pottery and sculpture merge.As in this rather nice piece.Simon Connolly Img_0797Simon Connolly Img_0798
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6400
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Simon Connolly Empty Re: Simon Connolly

Post by croker Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:56 pm

I would class Simon Conolly as just a sculptor rather than a potter as he doesn't seem to have any history of pot making, a well observed piece of his 'fish feeding' reminds me greatly of the carp in my pond when they circle before being fed. This sculptor is obviously very skilful but i find his work just a tad too realistic for my taste.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:20 am

Often the space between sculpture and pottery is very blurred Off the top of my head Nicola and Anthony Theakston, Mo Jupp, Philip Eglin, Kyrysty Keeney, and even Rosemary Wren, and many many others.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6400
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:47 pm

I think it depends on how the maker/artist prefers to be known and i think we should respect that, take Hans Coper for instance , he was inspired by sculpture but only ever claimed to be a potter , Ewen Henderson on the other hand only ever called himself a sculptor, many others started as potters but went on to be good sculptors and this is now how they prefer to be known . I don't think the clay medium that they work in should dictate their title. I have no idea how Jupp or Theakston see themselves?.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:51 pm

Robert Johnson Washington didn't want to be categorised and his work caused great confusion within the art world as it blurred the barriers between several disciplines.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum