lyon and turnbull modern made

3 posters

Go down

lyon and turnbull modern made Empty lyon and turnbull modern made

Post by croker April 6th 2022, 4:25 pm

Lyon and Turnbull 'modern made' auction now online, a few nicely selected pieces of studio pottery including two good Lucie Rie bowls a nice Sara Flynn vase and a very unusual early fire surround by Alison Britton, many other pieces of modern design, paintings , furniture etc , a nice sale.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

lyon and turnbull modern made Empty Re: lyon and turnbull modern made

Post by philpot April 7th 2022, 2:32 pm

I see the sale is in Edinburgh this time. I wonder about the London ones. This sort of Modern Made or Design to and from various dates seems the norm amongst auctioneers now.
As you say interesting sale, nice to browse. The John Ward's lots 241 and after look an unusual colouring. The Rie bowls look the sort of type that will fetch a lot more than their estimate! I always like Ian Godfrey and his intricate and intriguing pieces, these look particularly nice.
The Alison Britton looks unusual. Bought when a student. Historically its interesting. But is it any more than that? The decoration looks somewhat ingenue, but I suppose that what is what you would expect from a student.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker April 7th 2022, 3:03 pm

Hi Philpot, I don't think Alison Britton is too fond of her earlier work but i think she has to accept that it's all part of an artist's development, there are other examples of her earlier work in the Catleugh collection that was sold some years ago, i will try and dig them out, for me it's the large Janet Leach b/w pot that's of interest. My wife is a fan of Ian Godfrey and especially likes the one in the Shaw collection. I don't think that unusual  colouration  on the Ward pots is quite so popular as some of his other pieces. I think the sale is still in London.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 8th 2022, 11:01 am

T'is London I see. I forgot to mention the Janet Leach. The Big Black one does look really impressive. Not quite the best I have seen, as the White markings are less dramatic than on some of her other large ones. Given the prices she is going for you should be able to get it well within the estimate. Which would be excellent for such a grand piece! The other two black on white look nice as well.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 8th 2022, 12:23 pm

If I had the money and the space there is much in all areas of the sale that I would be interested in buying for myself. I might even take a trip up by train to view.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 30th 2022, 5:08 pm

https://www.lyonandturnbull.com/auction/search/?au=9251&sd=2&g=1
A pretty subdued auction as far as Studio Pottery went. £5250 for a Michael Cardew teapot, £6250 for an Emmanuel Cooper Jug, £13750 for an Akiko Hirai Moon Jar., £2000 for a big Janet Leach Black piece. Those about the highlights. Take the figures with a pinch of salt tho, as they are not the hammer prices. Like Sothebys etc they are now including the Buyer's premium in the headline sale price.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker April 30th 2022, 5:33 pm

hi Philpot, As you say not too much in the the studio ceramics but a good sale overall for design interest, i bought the Janet Leach pot but was outbid on other items.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 1st 2022, 10:49 am

I never bothered to visit but liked some of the furniture but it went for top prices.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 1st 2022, 11:00 am

philpot wrote:https://www.lyonandturnbull.com/auction/search/?au=9251&sd=2&g=1
A pretty subdued auction as far as Studio Pottery went. £5250 for a Michael Cardew teapot, £6250 for an Emmanuel Cooper Jug, £13750 for an Akiko Hirai Moon Jar., £2000 for a big Janet Leach Black piece. Those about the highlights. Take the figures with a pinch of salt tho, as they are not the hammer prices. Like Sothebys etc they  are now including the Buyer's premium in the headline sale price.

For me they are with a smaller pinch of salt than the hammer prices but still not what the buyer actually paid, which is the most important figure when making comparisons.

For example the Hirai 5 inch tall bottle with crap thrown at it on the website sold for £1500. That means the hammer price was £1200, the buyer's commission was £300, the VAT on that commission was £60 and the ARR was £48 and so the buyer paid £1608.

If someone had bought something from a gallery for £1200 then that is what they would have paid, not another £408 or 34% on top.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 1st 2022, 11:01 am

croker wrote:hi Philpot, As you say not too much in the the studio ceramics but a good sale overall for design interest, i bought the Janet Leach pot but was outbid on other items.

The white one?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 1st 2022, 11:23 am

hi studio, I bought the black piece , i did bid on the white one but dropped out , as you say some of the furniture went for high prices although the Arne Jacobsen chairs seem too be suffering a bit due to the over production in the repro market. I was interested in the John wells paintings but the wife put the block on that.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 3rd 2022, 7:50 am

I really liked the Black piece. If I had the room nowadays I may well have been in the bidding with you for that! That is one thing about downsizing, it very much curbs your collecting.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 3rd 2022, 11:42 am

Yes space can be a problem as most of us are now living in smaller houses, when my interest started in collecting studio ceramics i decided to restrict myself to just a handful of potters that took my interest and have basically stuck to that, this seems to work for me. Unlike many other collecting fields most studio pottery is freely available on the market and the temptation is to keep buying and we have all seen what happens when such a large accumulation overwhelms a small terraced house.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 3rd 2022, 3:02 pm

croker wrote:hi studio, I bought the black piece , i did bid on the white one but dropped out , as you say some of the furniture went for high prices although the Arne Jacobsen chairs  seem too be suffering a bit due to the over production in the repro market. I was interested in the John wells paintings but the wife put the block on that.

I forgot about the paintings.

I always regret not buying a Wells painting from Gilly Gilbert when he had the gallery in St. Ives.

I had to wait ages for him to stop talking to John Wells on the phone before I could get a price on some Bill Marshall pots that he had.

I bought those and I suppose when he offered me a John Wells I felt I shouldn't spend any more money that day.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum